Home » Audio » Home Theater » speaker cable length for HT
speaker cable length for HT [message #28501] Thu, 23 June 2005 07:43 Go to next message
HaknHendrix is currently offline  HaknHendrix
Chancellor
I am in the process of finalizing the installation of my HT system.

A couple of questions if I may.

1) It is a 6.1 system with direct surround speakers. What height should the surrounds be mounted at. In reading the literature, I have come across a range of recommendations from ear height to as close to the ceiling as possible. My sense, is that it might be best located around 2 feet above the ear level.

2) As for cable lengths - should the surround cable lengths be cut to the same length? The surrounds are calibrated based on distance from the listener, and as such I would conclude that the cable lengths for the surrounds should be equal, otherwise calibration would be off.

PS. still very much enjoying: 2 PI, 2 PI Towers, and 4 Pi Towers. I am tempted to hook the PI speakers up to the HT just to see how they sound. What would you suggest I do for a center channel - use the existing HT?

Thanks in advance.
Hakn Sr.

Re: speaker cable length for HT [message #28502 is a reply to message #28501] Thu, 23 June 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd pick surrounds close to ear level, but lots of theaters set 'em up high too, so maybe some of the source material is recorded that way. I guess you can try both ways and see which you like best. I'd try a dozen movies or so before making a decision.

As for cables, use a good thick cable and don't worry about keeping the lengths the same. The speed of the signal in a conductor is almost the speed of light, so you can run them a long way before getting a delay.

Re: speaker cable length for HT [message #28503 is a reply to message #28501] Fri, 01 July 2005 14:42 Go to previous message
sam9 is currently offline  sam9
Esquire
Fine details (like cable length) for surrounds really are not critical. If set up the right way you should not be too conscious of what is comming from the surrounds. At least for movies. A very few multi-channel SACDs and DVD-As may have critical requirements for the surround but this is rare. If the source, a movie, is made THX compliant the surround channels actually have the highs rolled off somewhat, presumably to reduce the listener localizing them. The highs are the frequencies most affected by cable length.

Positioning the surrounds relative to the listeners is the most critical aspect and not always an easy one to get right. But once it is right you will be "dialed in" to watch the show.

Previous Topic: Tubed HT system
Next Topic: in-wall volume control 1 input into 2 speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:54:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout