Home » Audio » Home Theater » Sony AVD S500ES
Sony AVD S500ES [message #28425] Mon, 29 December 2003 21:04 Go to next message
TommyK is currently offline  TommyK
Esquire
I got this unit from Oade.com last week. I had been waitng for its release for 6 months. And I am not disappointed. It replaced a STR-333ES and the difference is noticable.
The imaging is great. I actually like the all in one. No need to worry about ICs!
I have also been very very pleased with the 2 channel sound. It is running a pair of Goodmans Dimension 8s that are not easy to drive, and they have never sounded better. I used to run these speaks with a MAC5100 int, and what I am hearing now is the Sony just sounds more effortless, more enjoyable. This is only 2nd digital amp I have heard, and I like it.
It will be a while before I can be sure it is not just honeymoon-itis, and the sound is actually what I am hearing. But first blush is this unit rocks.
TommyK

Re: Sony AVD S500ES [message #28427 is a reply to message #28425] Sun, 25 January 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I looked for this unit on Oade.com and couldn't find it. Could you post a link?

Re: Sony AVD S500ES [message #28428 is a reply to message #28427] Sun, 25 January 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
here
http://www.oade.com/Home_theater/sony/sony_es/avd-s500es.html

Re: Sony AVD S500ES [message #28429 is a reply to message #28428] Sun, 25 January 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Wow - I guess it's so new they don't have a photo online yet. Nice to see some HT gear that isn't medium-fidelity - Seems like there's a lot of HT systems common today that have specs like 10% THD (and they sound like it). Some of 'em sound alright, but many are pretty mediocre. But after going back and re-reading your initial description, sounds like the S500ES must be a hi-fi unit. What do they cost, if you don't mind my asking?

Re: Sony AVD S500ES [message #28430 is a reply to message #28429] Sun, 25 January 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi fi, Mid fi. Who can say? Marketing defintions. I will say that the AVD and all the digital amplifiers represent a completely different topology that will only improve over time. I will also say that I like what I hear. For HT and moderate 2 channel listening I am very pleased. I would like to try the amp out on speakers that might be able to let it shine. I have run it 2 channel on a pair of Klipsch Hereseys and a pair of Hartley full rangers. These speaks are well suited to my SET amps, and shine with them. The Sony has given them a run for the money and does some things better. But female vocals still sound sweeter with the SETs.

The AVD also draws much less juice than the other 'big budget' HTs I have set up. Over time, the bucks add up. My SETs I'll play for a few hours per week. The HT is on from 8 am to 11 pm 7 days a week b/w my wife, the kids, the nanny...
I actually forget what I paid at Oade ... but Oade has always given me the best price, without the haggle, and they stand behind what they sell. I highly recommend them for price and service.
TommyK

Re: Sony AVD S500ES [message #28431 is a reply to message #28430] Sun, 25 January 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds great! I'll have to check 'em out!

I've been using the AVD-S50ES... [message #28432 is a reply to message #28425] Sat, 31 January 2004 11:28 Go to previous message
DD is currently offline  DD
Esquire
...the predecessor (differences seem to be only cosmetic) for about 8 months now, driving a set of Dynaudio speakers and a sub. Love it, best bang for the buck I've ever heard, especially on SACD.

DD

Previous Topic: HDTV Here and Now
Next Topic: Poll - How long?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:16:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers