Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Music Licenses
Music Licenses [message #28407] Mon, 12 November 2007 09:50 Go to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I was wondering, if I do weddings and small corporate events where there is background music, do I have to pay royalties to the record companies? How would I go about doing that and is it expensive? I wouldn't want to find out after doing a few that I was supposed to and get in trouble or get a bad reputation.

Thanks for any advice,

Crystal

Re: Music Licenses [message #28408 is a reply to message #28407] Wed, 14 November 2007 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wouldn't worry about it. Look at how many DJ's are out there and I'm sure there not paying any royalties on there collections or what they play.

Re: Music Licenses [message #28409 is a reply to message #28408] Thu, 15 November 2007 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I think you're probably right but wasn't sure. Maybe it isn't expensive anyway and worth doing just to stay above board. I might check into it and if I do I'll write back. If anyone else knows, please respond.

Crystal

Re: Music Licenses [message #28410 is a reply to message #28409] Fri, 11 January 2008 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
I once upon a time tried to investigate just that sort of thing. I was not charging for playing the music, but I was playing it in public. I never got anywhere. People didn't even want to talk to me. I ended up getting referred to someplace in England, so I just said "To Hell With IT" and quit looking for trouble.

Re: Music Licenses [message #28411 is a reply to message #28410] Sun, 13 January 2008 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

ART has to pay licensing to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC for ART Radio but it is bundled with our monthly streaming broadcast fee. It's very expensive, to tell the truth. As I understanding it, licensing for streaming radio is even more expensive than over-the-air broadcast radio.

I don't know if it's the same thing as playing background music in a store or club though. I don't think it is, but I'm not sure. I do know that most clubs play music and I'll bet most pay no royalties or licenses. They just get a sound system and play music. I don't know of anyone getting approached by the record companies for it but I do know they get nuts about policing the internet for free downloads and pirated material.

Re: Music Licenses [message #28412 is a reply to message #28411] Sun, 13 January 2008 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Who is ART Radio making money for? In all the other cases you mention, the music is contributing to the profit of the enterprise.
In my case, the music I play is for free concerts - in fact I also give away hot dogs with the trimmings. I do it because it increases the sum total of beauty in the world. It's a "thing" I have.
Perhaps profit (ours) has nothing to do with it.

Re: Music Licenses [message #28413 is a reply to message #28412] Sun, 13 January 2008 21:35 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think you're right about the ethics of the situation. In your case, it's free concerts where the artist gets exposure and the attendees get free hot dogs, music and fun. In ART's case, it's the same thing really, we have a group of people here having fun on a website operated at a loss. It's all about having fun in each case.

Previous Topic: Digital Jimmyhat
Next Topic: golly!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:17:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout