Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Sub Replacements ??
Sub Replacements ?? [message #28389] Tue, 23 January 2007 12:13 Go to next message
MIXMAN is currently offline  MIXMAN
Esquire
Hi All

I run a 5 piece rock band ..(Guitar, Bass, Keys, Drums we mic everything) .. recently I'm having Sub Problems ..
It turns out that I burnt out My EV Eliminator Subs .. funny thing is .. one of them was just re-coned by EV .. got it back, but it had a Sort of a Squeak to it. They say that they will re-do the work for free .. but my question is this.
Would I be better off with 2 Re-coned Eliminator Subs ..
or should I look into putting different replacement Drivers in the Cabinets now that I got the old ones out .. ?
It's about $150 each to re-cone (although I guess one is already paid for)

.. I thought about one of these Drivers
or something that wont kill me on price ??

PEAVEY 18" LOW RIDER SUBWOOFER (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=294-301)

EMINENCE SIGMA PRO-18A-2 18" CAST FRAME DRIVER (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=290-427)

or Re-Cone The EV's ???

Re: Sub Replacements ?? [message #28390 is a reply to message #28389] Tue, 23 January 2007 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What kind of cabinets are these drivers used in?

Re: Sub Replacements ?? [message #28404 is a reply to message #28390] Thu, 11 October 2007 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yashchandra@sbcglobal.net is currently offline  yashchandra@sbcglobal.net
Esquire
I replaced mine with black widows.Sounds a lot cleaner and handles
more power now.Those EV drivers are weak and you are blowing them out
by overloading them.Black Widows (Peavey) were $129-

Re: Sub Replacements ?? [message #62294 is a reply to message #28404] Mon, 05 April 2010 22:54 Go to previous message
danielm is currently offline  danielm
Esquire
Re-cone the EVs and use the proper hi pass filter in the future to prevent further damage. You may need more subs. Or, you might try a center cluster of the subs or corner placement.

It's a bad idea to change drivers without knowing if the replacement is suitable for the existing cabinet.
Previous Topic: Graeme's Speakers
Next Topic: Number Nine...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:01:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout