Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station
Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28381] Sun, 19 February 2006 20:32 Go to next message
Randall Dibble is currently offline  Randall Dibble
Esquire
Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station

A funny thing happened at my last Gig.

We daisy chain 4 floor monitors for my live act without problem on Friday.

The next evening we return to our setup, which was left standing.

We turned on the monitor amp and a like magic we receive a very strong signal from the local radio station.

We found that if we disconnected the last monitor in our daisy chain the signal is reduced but still present.

If we reconnected the last monitor the radio station would return broadcasting strongly over our system.

I have some ideas why but would like to here from others.

What maybe the cause and more important how to prevent it in the future.

Thanks
Ran

Re: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station [message #28382 is a reply to message #28381] Mon, 20 February 2006 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hate it when that happens!

It can be caused by several things, but the most common one is noise on the line that makes the inputs act as a radio detector. The strongest station in your area is the one that will be detected and amplified.

The best thing to do is to find it by a process of elimination. Start with a simple system, just an amp and speaker. Then add to it until you find the source of the problem.

Re: Help! – Mysterious Radio Station [message #28383 is a reply to message #28382] Fri, 03 March 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne

We are booked for this venue in another month.

What should I look for exactly?

What are the different causes for "noise on the line"?

Lookin' for guidance and easy solution!

I know, there isn't one.

We never had this problem before with our gear or with the same gear at this or other venues.

On Friday night everything "A OK", Saturday night with no changes we become a "big ass radio".

Its bit mysterious to me.

Re: Help! – Mysterious Radio Station [message #28384 is a reply to message #28383] Fri, 03 March 2006 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're going to have to find this by a process of elimination. You'll probably find you just broke the shield on one of your cables, and so the problem only appears when it is connected to a particular piece of equipment or input. But you'll want to go out on-site right away and find it before you're under pressure. Maybe you can do it in an afternoon.

Some other things to try in future [message #28414 is a reply to message #28381] Fri, 01 February 2008 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
If you used a power line filter such as Carvin includes in its AC120S it might prevent such problems.

Also you could call the radio station. They are usually very interested in preventing what is happening to you - its in their license - they are not supposed to cause interference. So they might be willing to send someone out to help you.

You didn't say whether station was AM or FM. If FM you could use ferrite beads sprinkled around on your cables where thay enter equipment. If AM its more likely grounding. Whole system should have a common ground and that one actually grounded (cold water pipe?)at only one point.

I know this is late, but I just noticed your cry for help. Hope these hints may help you or others.
-Dicck

Re: Some other things to try in future [message #28415 is a reply to message #28414] Sun, 03 February 2008 22:27 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks!

We stop play the club. The owner wasn't interested in fixing the problems and all band generally complained of it as well.

The Radio tower is across the parking lot.

Life is to short to waste on booking agents and club owners who aren't interested to in the quality of your act.

Thanks for the suggests, I was the information in the future.

Previous Topic: Fender vibrochamp recap question
Next Topic: Twin Reverb Stand-by switch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:46:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout