Home » Audio » Pro Sound » 4-10 bass cab inductor
4-10 bass cab inductor [message #28343] Thu, 05 February 2009 19:43 Go to next message
BillyG is currently offline  BillyG
Esquire
Hi folks. I don't think that I have posted on this forum befor but I have checked it out several times with interest. I love the four ten configuration for bass guitar because of the low end punch that I get. The part that I don't like so much is how it sounds off axis because of comb filtering. I was considering trying an inductor in series with two of the tens in my 4-10 cab. My thaught on this would be to have two drivers running below 100 htz and the other two would opperate full range with the existing horn and crossover. I would like to know if this will effect phasing and will it even help with comb filtering?

Re: 4-10 bass cab inductor [message #28344 is a reply to message #28343] Fri, 06 February 2009 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, an inductor won't help. You can't correct acoustics problems like that with an electrical filter. Comb filtering is a three dimensional problem, with response that is different at every point in 3D space. An electrical filter is two dimensional, and can only modify amplitude and phase response. This would then be applied to all points in 3D space, so no help there.

Have you considered a straight vertical array instead?

Re: 4-10 bass cab inductor [message #28345 is a reply to message #28344] Fri, 06 February 2009 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks Wayne, I have considered building a straight verticle array. I was under the assumpsion that comb filtering mostely happens in upper frequencies and that this would solve that problem because two of the drivers would be limited to lower frequencies.....OH well....thanks again.

Re: 4-10 bass cab inductor [message #28346 is a reply to message #28345] Mon, 09 February 2009 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, that's not a bad idea. You could reduce HF from a pair on one side, leaving only the pair on the other side to do HF duty. That would work pretty well. Good idea.

Re: 4-10 bass cab inductor [message #28347 is a reply to message #28346] Tue, 10 February 2009 20:06 Go to previous message
Esquire
I finally gave it a try with a 10mH inductor in series with one side(2-tens)and it seemed to be a good improvement. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to do some real tests......rta etc. and I was also toying with the idea of byamping to get a little more control and to play around with the crossover point.I'll post again when I get some results. thanks BillyG

Previous Topic: amps and extension cabs
Next Topic: Sound even though volume at 0
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:01:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout