Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Peavey speaker questions
Peavey speaker questions [message #28336] Fri, 27 June 2008 01:40 Go to next message
Mike Gibson is currently offline  Mike Gibson
Esquire
Our museum has a pair of Peavey Sp 6G speakers. On one the woofer only works when you plug the jack into the low plug as if you were bi-amping. So the woofer is good. On the two full range ports only the horn works.

The crossover has a built in proprietary "Sounf Guard" that only protects the horn. My questions are-What normally goes bad to cause this? It has to PCB's in it. A small one where the phono jacks plug in and the one with the crossover and the protection circuit.

Is there one thing that goes wrong normally or what? I i,agine I'd have to buy the whole board or maybe both.. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Re: Peavey speaker questions [message #28337 is a reply to message #28336] Thu, 03 July 2008 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Have you opened it up and inspected it? I wonder if the crossover PCB inside just has the woofer disconnected. I would assume that the direct-connect plug must disable the crossover when something is inserted, otherwise the passive crossover components would still be across the driver when not needed. My guess is it does that by open-circuiting the return side. It would be worth looking inside because I think the problem might be obvious, disconnected plug broken wire, etc.

Re: Peavey speaker questions [message #28338 is a reply to message #28336] Mon, 07 July 2008 12:13 Go to previous message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
On these, the "low" jack has normally closed contacts which connect the crossover into circuit when the socket is unused. When the biamp sockets aren't normally used, the closed contacts can develop corrosion which leads to a resistive contact, which produces heat and weakens the spring of the contact , compounding the problem until it no longer works. It will just need a new socket soldered into the PCB, but you will have to get the correct type (they are available aftermarket) - there are many variations of phono sockets.

Previous Topic: need help with amp
Next Topic: ampeg vt-22 head
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:59:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout