Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Altec-Lansing
Altec-Lansing [message #28325] Fri, 18 January 2008 11:15 Go to next message
Gator is currently offline  Gator
Esquire
Hey, hey,

Anyone here using old Altec-Lansing speakers still? An old retro theater or club perhaps?

Later,

Gator

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28326 is a reply to message #28325] Fri, 18 January 2008 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IB is currently offline  IB
Esquire
Lots of altec lovers here

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hug/bbs.html

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28327 is a reply to message #28325] Sat, 19 January 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Wht? Are you buying or selling?
-Dick

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28328 is a reply to message #28326] Mon, 21 January 2008 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator is currently offline  Gator
Esquire
Hey, hey,

Not buying or selling just curious. I know some are using Altec gear on SETs for hifi rigs but wondered if anyone used Altec for live sound or theaters anymore. Did a search here and on AA and didn't see anything like that. Does Great Plains Audio sell to pros or is it mostly DIY'ers?

Later,

Gator

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28329 is a reply to message #28328] Wed, 23 January 2008 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
You bet! I use Altec stuff. I have six A-7 complete systems and parts for a few more. I am trying to add two more complete A-7's so I can use quad A-7' in my annual organ concerts to our northen MN lake. Trouble is they are heavy and costly to ship. I once drove to western SD to meet a guy who sold me 3 or 4 at a good price (plus a case of MN beer).I have used a single pair for outdoor PA for opera to Country and Western - also indoor. Quality was much better than NYC show business (which isn't saying much actually). Altec is a union of Western Electric (Bell Labs) and Jim Lansing. Between them they not only invented but monopolized the Movie market from the beginning. The monopoly was because their stuff was so good. Genius and precision manufacturing. Only RCA, which shared a basic patent, was in the race at all, as far as I know. Remember, though, original SMPTE standards required flat bass only down to 50 hz.
-Dick

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28330 is a reply to message #28325] Fri, 25 January 2008 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nope not anymore. Back in the mid and late 70's I used them for main PA's for bands. After a while running them at or near there full rated RMS power they'd start self destructing. So they earned the reputation as Altec Self Destructs in my book. After looking into those blown drivers, it looked more like it was a thermal problem. Like heat getting built up in the gap melting the coil glue and letting the coil weld itself to the pole piece.

But I've had good luck running other drivers in there cabinets and horns with no problems. The only way I'd use Altec drivers now days would be in a home stereo enviroment, nothing live.

Re: Altec-Lansing [message #28332 is a reply to message #28330] Thu, 14 February 2008 23:59 Go to previous message
Viscount
I wonder what you were doing to those Altecs to melt them. I ran PA for 10 years (indoor and outdoor) with a pair of Altec A-7 500s driven by a Dynaco Stereo 416 (200+ watts per channel). Opera, Country and Western, a Rock Band, soloists, Choirs, you name it. Never had a failed element. One year a horn was stored face up and water ran in and froze so I had to get a new diaphragm/coil assembly. Another time someone poured a cup of coffee down the throat. I drained it and had no trouble. I still use the speakers with no trouble. Of course you have to realize that the tweets are only rated about 15 watts continuous, but they will stand huge overloads for short (musical) periods. Same for the woofs only a few more watts.. Now if you feed them 60 cycle hum at ear shattering levels I can see them melting after a while.
-Dick

Previous Topic: Twin Reverb Stand-by switch
Next Topic: Amp, speakers,OHMS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:57:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers