Home » Audio » Pro Sound » "Wings" anyone?
"Wings" anyone? [message #28267] Sat, 28 July 2007 00:31 Go to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Back in the good old days before stereo, TV and all this other foolishness, when men were men and talking movies were all the rage, the big guns of the theater sound world employed "Wings" on their bass reproducers (usually modified horns?) to extend the low frequency response - presumably by lengthening the path length of cancellation "around the speaker and back". Can anyone elucidate this subject and does it really help (my interest is outdoor very large area sound - organ music for the fishing fleet from shore). My latest scheme is (per channel) 4 A-7s stacked with cones adjacent and with/without "wings". Two of these arrays about 30 feet apart with some sort of subwoofer in the middle complete the stereo source with audience from about 75 ft away up to over a mile. Arrays are elevated on a 20 ft bluff back about 50 ft from the water. The intent is to substantially improve the sound with less stress on the equipment over present design which uses three A-7s per side stacked one over two and no wings or subs.

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28272 is a reply to message #28267] Mon, 30 July 2007 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Wings" are good because they reduce the radiation angle of loudspeakers. This increases SPL within the pattern because it constrains the energy to a focused area. It can also help to improve the response of basshorns and tuned pipes.

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28273 is a reply to message #28272] Mon, 30 July 2007 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I don't see how this could be true at the low frequencies that they are used for. Perhaps I'm just extra foggy today. Try me with other words.

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28274 is a reply to message #28273] Mon, 30 July 2007 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Wings" won't work at wavelengths that are long compared to the panels. For example, a 5 foot panel won't have any influence at 20Hz having 60 foot wavelength. But it will at 100Hz which has 10 foot wavelength.

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28275 is a reply to message #28274] Mon, 30 July 2007 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I agree with you but still don't fully understand the mode of action. I have built and used sections of hinged 4X8 plywood as stage reflectors, but not as wings.
BTW, if you are not now or have never been a member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES), you should be. I would be glad to sponsor you if you so desired.
-Dick

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28279 is a reply to message #28275] Thu, 02 August 2007 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Beaver is currently offline  Ivan Beaver
Esquire
The wings only work over a specific range of freq. The bottom of the range is determined by the physical size of the wings. THe larger they are the lower the freq in which they will direct the sound.

The upper range is determined by the loudspeaker itself. THey will only start to help at the freq at which the loudspeaker is losing pattern control and becoming omni. At that point they will help to "redirect" the energy forward.

If large enough they can actually help the pattern control of a loudspeaker, although there will be a few issues with discontinunity between the actual horn of the cabinet and the wings, but they will help somewhat.

Re: "Wings" anyone? [message #28280 is a reply to message #28279] Thu, 02 August 2007 19:07 Go to previous message
Viscount
Thanks!
Dick

Previous Topic: replacement part for Trace Acoustic amp
Next Topic: Leslie-Type Spinning Speaker Systems?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:01:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio