Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Sunfire ?
Sunfire ? [message #28234] Tue, 24 July 2007 20:54 Go to next message
granch is currently offline  granch
Viscount
Sunfire is another name I don't see in these forums. I would think that considering the age-old conflict between Dad's desire for low bass and Mom's aversion to anything big, that a Sunfire 11 or 12 inch cube in the corner would be pretty popular. I used two stacked for my organ sub woofers for a while but eventually graduated to push-pull parallel HSU's [:)], space being not much of an object with me. Of course lots of loudness at 16 hz was important to me and I had been overdriving the little Sunfires a bit.

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28238 is a reply to message #28234] Wed, 25 July 2007 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
efaber is currently offline  efaber
Esquire
bob carver is a controversial figure. hit and miss. some of his gear is good but some is horrible. either way your hsu subs are way better than plain jane sunfire cubes.

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28241 is a reply to message #28238] Wed, 25 July 2007 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That's why I use the HSU's and store the Sunfire's. But I am an organ nut and that's what they are used for. I would think that ordinary humans (the ones with brains) only interested in good sound for the hi-fi or new HD-TV would do fine with the Sunfire's. - Dick

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28245 is a reply to message #28241] Thu, 26 July 2007 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sometimes, like in another post Bob Carvers stuff is hit or miss on somethings. I know a guy here at work that went through 2 Sunfire subs on his stereo before he got the 3rd. He listens to death-metal music and usually that type of music rarely has anything below 40HZ in it. It's a wonder you didn't have any trouble with them hitting 16Hz notes on the organ.
Bill W.

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28247 is a reply to message #28245] Thu, 26 July 2007 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have two pieces of Carver gear, both preamps. One is a simple device, just a buffered switcher and volume with treble and bass tone controls. It's a great little preamp, actually. The other is a 5.1 channel preamp that tries to be all things to all people, HT, hifi even EIA rack-mountable like prosound guys like. But this thing is weird. The (2) tape monitor in/out controls are psychedelically inspired, I'm sure. Should be simple but it's not. You have to daisy chain the decks together like a series chain, just plain weird. Sounds good though.

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28250 is a reply to message #28245] Thu, 26 July 2007 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
To Bill and Wayne: My valiant little Sunfire's certainly did work. I had one stacked on top of the other in a corner and strapped tightly to the floor. Even so, once a nit-wit put a cocktail glass on top to everyone's entertainment. I was pretty satisfied, but when Tom Hazelton tells you that you are overdriving them, you believe him. The major intent here was to reproduce the pedal division of my organ (4 or 5 - 32 foot stops) and only secondarily to serve as subs for phono music (I use AR-9s for that). Same will be true of the outdoor system - although my son wants badly to put on an all Jazz concert (whatever that is). So now they sit in their original boxes waiting for tough minded dear old Dad to sell them on eBay.
-Dick

Carver [message #28252 is a reply to message #28247] Thu, 26 July 2007 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
My first piece of actual gear was an old Carver 900 receiver I got back in the early 80's. It was a good sounding piece and could really push a set of speakers. I still have that thing running in my garage. Top's a little dented, missing a knob or two, and one set of speaker relays are shot, but otherwise works.

Re: Sunfire ? [message #28254 is a reply to message #28247] Fri, 27 July 2007 11:25 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I always did like the sound of Carver preamps, there power amps are pretty good too, like the PM series 1.5, I haven't heard or used the PM 2.0 yet. But there amps are a little more layed back sounding than the Crest, Crown and QSC amplifiers I've ran. But he does some goofy things with some of his equipment, like your tape monitor loop on your 1 preamp for example.

Previous Topic: Karvin again
Next Topic: Carvin
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:35:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout