Home » Audio » Pro Sound » newbie-type comments and questions
newbie-type comments and questions [message #28219] Sat, 23 December 2006 15:58 Go to next message
Travis G is currently offline  Travis G
Esquire
Hello all. I just found these forums - well it was several hours ago - and have been reading ever since. I am quite impressed with the loaded horn subs. Power and clarity in many of them. Nice. And Wayne - I'm impressed with your abilities, and how much post here. You must stay extremely busy!

Anyway, now that the gushing is over...

I'm looking at buying 2 or 4 BEHRINGER EP2500 (which I have read lots of good reviews on), and want speakers that will handle that amount of power (2400WRMS bridged), or at least a significant portion of it.

Finally to the questions:
1) There is a lot of talk about different designs, but where are the design specs for these folded horn subs available? Is there a listing of the most popular?

2) There is tons of discussion about the folded horns, but I haven't seen any about what you are using along with them. What is used for the mids and highs? Is it a line arrays, or something else? If it's a line array, do you have a specific recommendation on building one?

Thanks,
Travis

Re: newbie-type comments and questions [message #28220 is a reply to message #28219] Sat, 23 December 2006 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
{1) There is a lot of talk about different designs, but where are the design specs for these folded horn subs available? Is there a listing of the most popular?
}
Yes Wayne over at Pi speakers has what's been call "the Bass bin from hell" from a few friend's of mine, the 12pi, plans are availble for free.

billfitzmaurice.com has plans but you have to pay.

Of course the Lab Sub on prosoundweb.net for free.

And if your across the big pond, speakerstore.nl has designs availble, the "Punisher" series seems pretty popular.
Also from across the pond speakerplans.com

{2) There is tons of discussion about the folded horns, but I haven't seen any about what you are using along with them. What is used for the mids and highs? Is it a line arrays, or something else?

The most efficent you can get preferably horn loaded or line array's

{ If it's a line array, do you have a specific recommendation on building one? }

Go over to the Line Array forum and ask for Jim Griffins white paper. For a newbie in sound I wouldn't recommend line array's off the bat, they can be a bitch sometimes.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: newbie-type comments and questions [message #28221 is a reply to message #28220] Sat, 23 December 2006 23:15 Go to previous message
Travis G is currently offline  Travis G
Esquire
Bill, thanks for the info. I'm checking out those sites now.

My home audio system has been severely lacking for many years, and I'm itching to put an end to that. But I should have clarified my newbie-ness - In car audio I've been doing my own custom installs for the last 7 years and am not a newbie. It's that I'm a newbie to this level of home audio, folded horn subs, line arrays, and anything not main-stream.

I've put off doing anything with my home audio system because anything and everything I had found main stream did NOT cut it. Stupid little powered subs rated at 100W or even the overpriced 2000W powered subs - I am not impressed with their performance in a home environment. I'm used to 2000W RMS pounding me at less than 1m away in my car. I want that volume level (or at least close to) whilst sitting at my couch, 10 feet away from my TV, and I want no audible distortion at very high volume, tight bass down to at least 35Hz, and natural highs. I'm not looking for extreme clarity, but it's gotta sound good and rattle the internals. I was hoping to begin approaching that with 2 to 4 of those Behringer EP2500's pushing some fairly extreme speaker systems.

That said, I recently read about one guy's system, much of it custom designed / modified by him, including 4 custom made woofers. Of course I can't find the link right now... He has 2 6000 watt QSC amps and 2 other 500 watt amps, and all but 4 speakers look to be woofers or subs. He's hitting over 140dB in nearly every part of his decent sized basement listening room and claims to have a very flat response and natural highs at high volume with very low distortion. If it is truly as he described, then he has the kind of setup I crave.

Travis

Previous Topic: OT- Active pickup question
Next Topic: Ken Fischer RIP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:39:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers