Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout [message #28155] Fri, 11 August 2006 22:59 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What do you guys think about having another Prosound Shootout this year? I'm getting some E-mails and seeing forum traffic about it, and it is getting close to time. Who's interested?

I'll be back [message #28156 is a reply to message #28155] Sat, 12 August 2006 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Should be with new cabs, if I can get done in time. If not, with heatsink loaded tubas, which we will proceed to pummel thouroughly with thermometers in place.

Re: I'll be back [message #28157 is a reply to message #28156] Sat, 12 August 2006 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Very good. I'll contact David Lee and see if he wants to brings something from BASSMAXX again this year. I'm sure he'll want to come back. They made some improvements since last year's model, so he'll probably bring the latest and greatest. Maybe you can pass the word on the Fitzmaurice forum and see if some other guys want to get involved.

I'll call the race track this week and set a date.

LABhorn wager [message #28158 is a reply to message #28155] Mon, 14 August 2006 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The ProSoundWeb.com website has several discussion forums, one of which is described as being a general subwoofer discussion forum. Their stated purpose is to encourage general discussions of subwoofer designs. They did a group build sort of thing a couple years ago and came up with a basshorn which they called the LABhorn. I made a device that serves to reduce motor temperatures and thermal stress, so power handling is improved. I've included this in my 12π basshorn but made it compatible with the LABhorn, hoping the contribution to their project would be useful for them. But the chief designer of the LABhorn seems to have a "not invented here" hangup, and has consistently put down the cooling plug, even when faced with evidence that it worked and testimony from several people that they experienced performance gains from theirs. In fact, the moderator of that forum even resorted to deleting posts from people that use cooling plugs and reported them as being effective. So I challenged them to a wager.

I am willing to bet anyone $1000.00 that a stock LABhorn will blow before a 12π basshorn. The conditions are pretty simple, really. I will bet $1000.00 that it takes less power to blow a stock LABhorn than it does a 12π, proving to any naysayers that the cooling plugs are effective. Most people know this already, but there are a few vocal critics that I have extended this wager for. The two basshorns use the same woofers, so there is no driver advantage either way. It's all about design and execution. I'll even give a handicap to benefit the LABhorn - It can have dry ice or any other kind of cool stuff placed on the access panels. The 12π access panels can be completely blocked, covered so no airflow is possible across them. The challenger is free to choose the program material or test signal. The signal shall be run at 800 watts RMS for 15 minutes or until one of the loudspeakers fails. Power shall be increased 10% and run for 1 minute, then increased 10% more and run for another minute and so on until one of the speakers fails. The loser pays the winner $1000.00 and the results will be published here. If there is a challenger willing to take this bet, we'll do it at the Prosound Shootout.

For those of you that own LABhorns, please do not feel attacked or intimidated by this challenge. Most of you already know that cooling plugs give you an extra edge. They were designed with you in mind, and that's why they were made compatible with the LABhorn. They're a bolt-on add-on part for LABhorns that you can easily buy or build yourself. So feel free to bring your LABhorns, with or without cooling plugs. We would love to have you there. The wager is only for those who might want to prove something, and for those stupid enough to take this bet.

Did you say Shootout? [message #28159 is a reply to message #28155] Mon, 14 August 2006 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Lee is currently offline  David Lee
Esquire
BASSMAXX will be there. This year, as you said, I'll bring the latest and greatest. (Ever seen that show 'Pinks' on SpeedTV?) Yes, we did make some pretty big improvements on the Z-5 since we brought out that prototype last time. And this time I won't make the same mistake I did last year, I'll bring more than one matching cabinet. I'll bring enough so you can at least hear/see them do what they do when they are used the way they are intended to be used: More than one at a time.

Do you think you should officially invite EAW, Funktion 1, Turbosound, Danley, Nexo, Adamson, EV, Dynacord, L'Acoustics, Phazon, JBL, Martin Audio, Meyer Sound and anyone else making well reputed subwoofers to attend this event and bring their best offering? BASSMAXX will be there because we don't back down from a challenge, no matter who its from, but I wonder if any other manufacturers will have the mettle to show up...?

I'm ready to have some fun!

David Lee

Re: Did you say Shootout? [message #28160 is a reply to message #28159] Mon, 14 August 2006 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Consider the other manufacturers officially invited. We'll take photos and measurements of their gear, and do a nice tasteful little write-up of each product, just like last year. Would you be willing to act as liason and contact each of them for us?

Re: LABhorn wager [message #28161 is a reply to message #28158] Mon, 14 August 2006 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Offer the cash to charity; VFW or something. That ought to generate some publicity and do a good deed at the same time. If you don't mind my big nose sticking in here. Everyone likes to contribute and feel good about it and rightfully so.
Tax deductible.

Re: LABhorn wager [message #28162 is a reply to message #28161] Mon, 14 August 2006 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Great idea. It's a done deal, we'll donate the proceeds from the wagers to charity. Step right up folks, place your bets.

Re: LABhorn wager [message #28163 is a reply to message #28158] Mon, 14 August 2006 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Leerman is currently offline  Craig Leerman
Esquire
I told you many times why the posts on PSW were deleted Wayne. Real names are required on PSW so if someone posts as sammy43 or bassfreak7 we delete them. If you notice, we welcome people to post on all topics as long as they follow the rules there, which require real names, polite behavior, no spam, manufacturers not advertising products, etc. I have even mentioned your product by name as being welcome on the forum (as long as the rules are followed).

Please stop implying why any posts were deleted. As I have stated, and many others have seen, posts on ALL TOPICS will get deleted or locked if the posters do not follow the rules. You are even welcome to post the results of any shootout that you might have, as long as you follow the rules there.

Craig Leerman

Re: LABhorn wager [message #28164 is a reply to message #28162] Mon, 14 August 2006 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Good; it's been my experience that guys find it easier to accept losing if they can say it is for a good cause rather than for someones pocket.
Good Luck. I hope it works out.

Previous Topic: marshall AVT amps
Next Topic: Subwoofer help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:19:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers