Home » Audio » Pro Sound » do karlson do anything well?
do karlson do anything well? [message #28108] Wed, 19 October 2005 18:32 Go to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
controversial - guess worse case = "look cool"

looking at pi's fab horn shootout am sometimes confused with regards to harmonic disortion figures as can only look at one or two tones.

a simple 8cu.ft. Karlson box here will look better below passband (and perhaps inside the band) than my UCS1 or a Z-fold JBL sub.

here's 30vrms/50Hz into a simple karlson w. old Eminence 18 without front shelf which corrects 1st dip (somewhat) guess nominal would be ~150w by z-minimum critera - IIRC fb was around 42hz with two 4"x4.5" pvc ducts

smoke? not in a few seconds!

lower level sine UCS1 vs karlson UCS1 had 15dB more 3rd harmonic than the karlson. UCS1 has a fairly high input Z

one sheet klam w. 3cu.ft. rear chamber is it ~BP4

karlson are odd things with regards to initial slot gap and flare - if gets clogged by an inch then sounds 10X worse run wideband. might be possible to squeak a bit more performance within a givin bulk by going taller and should be looked at by 3rd Z peak to compare to bandpass boxes for similarities.

added some height to a test box but affair was too rickety to judge. crazy part - when running an 18" wideband a very narrow slit in the extension running up to very top allowed it to play better including the sense of HF - doubt if would show on RTA - be like that dumbass show with guy lookin' for ghosts with a $10 multimeter.

k are reasonably simple and light - if using cheap birch - lol -whether have place in pa - dunno - I'd use one but am stubborn.

Freddy

Re: do karlson do anything well? [message #28111 is a reply to message #28108] Thu, 20 October 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We've gotta get one of those Karlson cabs out at the next Prosound Shootout! There's also a hifi event in May (GPAF), maybe someone will bring one to that.

Re: do karlson do anything well? [message #28115 is a reply to message #28111] Thu, 20 October 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'll try getting one out for GPAF there pretty easy to build besides I think I have some old plywood, not birch the cheap stuff, to build 1 or 2 to experiment with.

Bill W.

Re: do karlson do anything well? [message #28119 is a reply to message #28115] Thu, 20 October 2005 09:38 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds great, Bill. And thanks again for all your help with the 12π and the Prosound Shootout.

Previous Topic: Floor Pocket Problems
Next Topic: Eminence driver that can handle 1250 wattts RMS, with heat sink
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 14:46:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout