Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Hornsub shootout
Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28089 is a reply to message #28079] Mon, 17 October 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cred_audio is currently offline  cred_audio
Esquire
What a great event!! Fantastic results and a great test gig!

The only disappointment is that none brought in some LAB subs. That would have completed the best of the DIY Bass Bins out there, lending itself to a direct comparison with the 12π. Perhaps, next time.

Thanks very much all of you guys who put in the sweat.

Re: My impressions [message #28090 is a reply to message #28088] Mon, 17 October 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
akhilesh is currently offline  akhilesh
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Makes sense Wayne.
I could see the graphs, but since I have your ear, what SPLs did the Pi 12 reach (I saw 138 db at 1 meter, but did it go higher?) I thought the distortion numbers looked fantastic, is my guess of 3% or less at most frequencies upto 138 db at 1 meter correct?
-akhilesh

Re: My impressions [message #28091 is a reply to message #28090] Mon, 17 October 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The 12π basshorn subwoofer reached 138dB/M maximum output at 1600 watts RMS. We ran it up higher, but little additional output was generated. Up to 1600 watts, compression was negligible, with 2x power increases resulting in the expected 3dB SPL increases.

Measured response largely agrees with the computer model prediction. Compare the modeled response for one horn to the measured response of the prototype:

http://www.pispeakers.com/Basshorn/12Pi_single_halfspace_response.gif
Computer model of single 12π basshorn response 2.83v/M floorstanding in open space

http://prosoundshootout.com/Measurements/12Pi_28v.gif
Measured response of single 12π basshorn response 2.83v/M floorstanding in open space

The accuracy of the model makes me comfortable that its prediction of a group of four horns is also accurate.

http://www.pispeakers.com/Basshorn/12Pi_four_halfspace_response.gif
Computer model of four 12π basshorns response 2.83v/M floorstanding in open space

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28092 is a reply to message #28089] Mon, 17 October 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wanted to see a LABsub there too. I had planned to allow one to try out the heat exchanger used in the 12π, since I've made it compatible with the LABhorn for use as a bolt-on performance upgrade.

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - Bassmaxx Z5 [message #28093 is a reply to message #28080] Mon, 17 October 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Did any of you notice how incredibly flat the Z5 response curve is? Amazing. And I think David was somewhat conservative in his choice to use 1200 watts as maximum power.

I also want to say thanks to David for providing the LMS card for us to use.

Re: My impressions [message #28096 is a reply to message #28091] Mon, 17 October 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
freddyi is currently offline  freddyi
Baron
hey Wayne - absolutely awesome!! musta been great fun and you smoked some heavy stuff!

Best!
Freddy

Re: My impressions [message #28097 is a reply to message #28096] Mon, 17 October 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It was a lot of fun. The guys were great and their systems were awesome. The weather was wonderful too. We just couldn't have had a better day. I wish you could have been there though, I've seen you around online for a long time and it would have been cool to hang out with you.

Re: My impressions [message #28099 is a reply to message #28097] Tue, 18 October 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
finally got prostatitis on top of other stuff - won't go away yet - maybe never (?)- ain't much fun - guys watch diet and include something ot offset this possibility!!

did Tuba 30 not show? You're doing a fab job!!!!!!

Best!!!

Re: My impressions [message #28100 is a reply to message #28099] Tue, 18 October 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm very sorry to hear about your health. I sincerely hope your treatments go well.

I was bummed that the larger Tubas didn't show. But the Tuba 24 did well, especially when you consider that it is rather small and was tested alone rather than in a group. We had hoped to test a pair but ran out of time.

We also wanted to test the effects of heat soaking, and how the speakers acted after being heated for a lengthy period of time with a powerful signal. But we didn't have time to do that either.

We did obtain some very good information though. Prior events weren't done outdoors, so this was a first. We were able to perform a battery of tests that was consistent, getting true half-space anechoic measurements at various power levels.

But most of all, we just had an absolutely wonderful time. What could be better than messing around with powerful sound gear at a race track, followed by cool cars coming in to race. It was just an awesome day, and I'm already anxious for next year!

Did you see the response of the Bassmaxx hornsub? Perfectly flat, amazing. I'd like to see what it does in groups, if the deep bass level rises and what that does to the rest of the response curve. Next time, that is something I hope to see.

Re: My impressions [message #28101 is a reply to message #28100] Tue, 18 October 2005 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
(treatments=got none-lol - maybe a few more course of anitbiotics)yeah - looked at bassmaxx. Tuba 24 @65lb is a winner for band guys who have to lug stuff w/o help
how fast does your heatsink get hot? - do you think its signifcantly reducing heat of entire voice-coil?
did W-version of pi sub get completely scratched?
does harmonic distortion on sine ever correlate well with music trax?

Previous Topic: Basshorn or Transmission Line
Next Topic: Seymour Duncan 84-50 Reverb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:39:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout