Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Hornsub shootout
Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - DR250 [message #28137 is a reply to message #28134] Tue, 08 November 2005 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Just bought a new toy. When I get my tweeter array changed I'll post one. Not quite as sophisticated as the LMS system , but it will give us an idea. Eq the upper mids. That's what I do. With a 31 band you can smooth these puppies to silk. It takes almost no amp power in those upper ranges.

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - DR250 [message #28138 is a reply to message #28137] Tue, 08 November 2005 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timebomb is currently offline  Timebomb
Esquire
Cool, ill look foward to seeing that, ive orderd a spl meter and im assuming if play a test tone cd with 1/3 octave interval tones and take mesurements with the meter ill have a fairly accurate graph. I thought boosting the mid on the graphic eq gave you less headroom on the amp? As its turning the signal up the mids would clip more easyly, so a 6db boost would mean 6dbs less head room on the amp, meaning you could only give the speakers 1/4 of the power you could otherwise. Ime not 100% sure on this though, ive asked bill over on his forum.

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - DR250 [message #28139 is a reply to message #28138] Tue, 08 November 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
Depends on where you define mids. Upper part of the register costs very little in amplifier power. Your'e right that power consumption doubles every 3db, but most of the effort (amperage)lies in the bass. Doesn't take a lot of current to drive a 3k signal.

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - DR250 [message #28140 is a reply to message #28139] Tue, 08 November 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timebomb is currently offline  Timebomb
Esquire
Im with you, so it shouldent make my amp clip far sooner if i have a 6db boost at 2-3khz? Ill try it tomorrow and see, and ill do some plots as soon as my spl meter arrives and i have some spare time.

Cheers.

James

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28222 is a reply to message #28092] Mon, 05 March 2007 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Billings is currently offline  Josh Billings
Esquire
I just wanted to double check this. Is this power per cabinet (like 2 6 ohms drivers in parralel being 3 ohms) or is this 2400 watts PER driver in the cabinet?

-Josh Billings

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28223 is a reply to message #28222] Mon, 05 March 2007 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

All power levels at the 2005 Prosound Shootout were per cabinet, not per driver. The impedance was measured and used to calculate voltage to set power level. This drive level was then used for the measurement sweep.

You'll notice that we tested the 12π with its cooling plugs up to 2400 watts RMS. I've also tested without cooling plugs and found that the LAB12 driver cannot withstand this same test beyond 400 watts, or 800 watts for a pair.

The LAB12 meets its published power specification of 400 watts RMS. It cannot handle sustained power levels beyond 400 watts RMS (or 800 watts as a pair) unless cooling plugs are used. With cooling plugs installed in a 12π basshorn, you can run 1600 watts continuously. Naturally, peak power levels are increased as well.

The LAB12 driver can withstand peaks in excess of 400 watts, as shown in the "music program" rating of 800 watts. This is a different way of describing how the speaker handles power, and should be compared with other "music power" specification ratings. A LAB12 driver with a cooling plug can handle 1600 watts "music power". When a pair of drivers is used in a basshorn, then "music power" rating is 1600 watts without cooling plugs and 3200 watts when cooling plugs are used.

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28225 is a reply to message #28223] Mon, 09 April 2007 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Josh Billings is currently offline  Josh Billings
Esquire
I'm curious how long these sweeps were? Were they like 10 seconds long or like a minute? Just curious cuz i'm trying to gauge max power when there are some low heavy sweeps in teh dance music we play at the club some time.

-Josh Billings

Re: Hornsub shootout RESULTS - 12π [message #28226 is a reply to message #28225] Mon, 09 April 2007 02:06 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The most extensive tests of max power testing on the 12π were done prior to the prosound shootout. I did destructive tests without cooling plugs installed and then compared them with performance after cooling plugs were inserted. The drivers failed after 1.5 hours at 400 watts continuous power without the cooling plugs installed. When cooling plugs were used, they reached sustained power levels of 840 watts without failure for several hours of use. This is per driver, so with two drivers the numbers are 800 watts for an unprotected basshorn or 1680 watts for one with a cooling plug. These figures reflect performance at sustained, continuous power levels.

Previous Topic: Basshorn or Transmission Line
Next Topic: Seymour Duncan 84-50 Reverb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:43:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout