Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Folded horns - W verses equiangular spiral
Re: Acoustic Lever [message #28047 is a reply to message #28046] Tue, 03 May 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, you're right that the OEMs need money to produce a prototype, but some are more willing than others. I think you might approach Eminence with this, as they might be willing to do something with it at low cost. I seem to recall Tom Danley saying that they made the baskets and cones for the prototype of his Contrabass device. All Danley really needed was the diaphragm and suspension hung on a basket, since he used a belt to drive the cone. So maybe they could provide something like that for you. A modified basket could be fabricated pretty easily in the machine shop and a couple of cones could be attached using existing suspension parts. Seems like it would be easy to make 'em with 6", 8" and 10" primaries, and 12", 15" and 18" secondaries. Just a thought.

Re: Acoustic Lever [message #28048 is a reply to message #28047] Tue, 03 May 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Wayne

As I said, getting the levers made has never been the issue. I can do it without trouble. Its the rational for making them that is missing. The technology has been proven, etc. Until there is a customer, what's the point?

Re: Acoustic Lever [message #28049 is a reply to message #28048] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe a next product in your Cum Laude line? That's what I was thinking of anyway. Probably just getting ahead of things, that's all.

Re: Acoustic Lever [message #28050 is a reply to message #28049] Tue, 03 May 2005 15:19 Go to previous message
Earl Geddes is currently offline  Earl Geddes
Master
Wayne

Maybe you missed my comment in an earlier post, but I don't think the lever fits in with Summa's focus on small rooms (see earlier comment).

Duke and I have talked about this at some length because we know that we need a subwoofer in the line. But I want to do the right thing not just the new thing (even if I do own the patent).

Not to give away too much, but we are looking to make a small low power subwoofer that is inexpensive to make so that the cusotmer can buy and use two or three of them around the room. The problem is that we need the system to cover about 25 - 50 Hz. which is incompatible with "small" and "inexpensive". When I get this problem worked out, I'll let you know.

But thanks for your interest. I am sure that someday we will see a high output lever used in Pro sound applications since this is the ideal application.

Previous Topic: Over Dwell the reverb surf pan
Next Topic: Presence control for my guitar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 08:15:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout