Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Update to DIY site
Update to DIY site [message #27992] Tue, 09 November 2004 08:38 Go to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
Hi all,

With move to new isp, I have taken the opportunity to update my DIY site, and have added new stuff such as phase plug and horn folding info, as well as making various tools.

Hope some of it can be of use to someone.

Cheers
Graeme

my my [message #27995 is a reply to message #27992] Tue, 09 November 2004 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Look at those pretty phaseplugs

How does one turn those on a lathe? A few minutes practise enough??

Very cooL!

have you seen the speakerplans.com site? there are these guys who make an add on horn for eminence 12" for mid horn loading,looks like moulded plastic.

Regards
Mike.e

Re: my my [message #27998 is a reply to message #27995] Tue, 09 November 2004 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi Mike,

I had never done any sort of wood turning before I tried these, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it - just take care and patience...

Did you notice I had links to your site(s)? - is both ok? or do you prefer just one of them?

Speakerplans.com have SOME interesting stuff...

Cheers
Graeme

Just xobt [message #27999 is a reply to message #27998] Tue, 09 November 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
the xobt one is the latest -that old quadroph one,was my LAST internet account,it could dissapear at anytime since i dont have that one anymore.

Ive had several peoples interest in 2226 basshorns,I might fold up one that will reach moderately high,hopefully 250hz.

my own 35hz basshorn should be built soon assuming best case scenario-get paid a few hundred that some one owed me :P , i dont want to pay a joiner 200$ but i cant cut the wood accurately and quickly with a skillsaw,perhaps with a guide its possible but Im not really a woodworker. Perhaps i could do the straight panels without mitres.

Regards
Mike.e

Re: Update to DIY site [message #28001 is a reply to message #27992] Wed, 10 November 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

Also,very cool linked site littlebig audio!

http://www.burton-manor.co.uk/ is interesting!!!! midhorns on the HF horn!!!!!!

Interesting choice of MOSFET for PA power amplifier,the on resistance of those things are abit higher,higher supply rails required-but simpler circuits! veroboard lol! take that Mr Bigbrand super amazing 5kw SMPS with 'DVSC PIL' and 'OPT' haha!

Regarding basshorns i think that your method of horn folding is good for those drivers that require small Vrc.For PROsound typical bigbox drivers-the old S style seems to often have a very useful rear chamber,that happens to be ~60litres etc which the driver wanted anyway haha

Regards
Mike.e

Re: Just xobt [message #28002 is a reply to message #27999] Wed, 10 November 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Mike, will adjust that link.

Now come on, you've got plenty of photos - just whip up a saw bench like mine and you'll be cutting straight easy

Cheers
Graeme

Re: Just xobt [message #28006 is a reply to message #28002] Fri, 12 November 2004 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roy N. is currently offline  Roy N.
Esquire
Hi Mike,
How are you? I've been on speakerplans for the longest when are your plans coming out,I've been seeing this plans with the two measurements and still waiting for the rest I'd like to build this sub but only to 80-100Hz. Bill Fitzmaurice has a Snail II cabinet with a JBL 140E and can reach I believe to 400-500Hz it is also a folded horn. I think your horn is easier to build than the Snail II from the way it looks, no offense Bill.

Re: Just xobt [message #28007 is a reply to message #28006] Tue, 16 November 2004 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)

hey Roy.

which plans are you referring to ? 34hz JBL 2226 horn ?Those are sitting around waiting for me to find the $$$

My horns are only for up to 100hz,I dont find folding horns a fun experience :P

Regards
Mike.e

Re: horn race [message #28008 is a reply to message #28007] Wed, 17 November 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey Mike, how long you reckon before you get that thing built? Your waiting for $$, I'm trying to get the time for my 12" horn. Thought it might happen this month, but now unlikely. Wonder who will get theirs done first ??

Similar targets, mine a fraction smaller but not by much. Will be interesting to compare measured results.

Cheers
Graeme

Re: horn race [message #28009 is a reply to message #28008] Wed, 17 November 2004 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
hehe well ive been waiting all year..
When you havemore than 30,000$ debt it makes u think twice ,sometimes more than others :P

i sold my crappy car and got a few $$$ but my cousin is so poor she cant afford to pay me haha,shes seing about it this week if she can borrow money off some oen else to pay me it all. Then il try cutting it myself with circular saw(most of it)
My horn is very easy to make cos i dont like woodworking

Im keen to reduce it down to 95cm x 95cm,but then il only get ~38hz,which would still be fun,but id know that im missing out on some information!

regards
Mike.e

Previous Topic: Selection Help
Next Topic: tube amp output power question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:51:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers