Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Paging BillF, GraemeG and SwollenL - Massive hornsub
Re: Paging BillF, GraemeG and SwollenL - Massive hornsub [message #27872 is a reply to message #27862] Tue, 16 March 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GraemeG is currently offline  GraemeG
Baron
Dan,

Have been investigating this area recently. I too like the labhorn setup, although I have never heard one. For my way of thinking, I don't really see the neccessity to separate sub-bass and mid-bass. A PA bottom end bin SHOULD be able to cover ALL of the low end, say from 200Hz down. For this, the labhorn doesn't go high enough, and I'm not overly impressed by the measured response lumpyness anyway - which seems to be a direct consequence of the too low Fs of the Lab12.

At this stage I am not convinced with the need to go quite as low as 20Hz, but certainly believe we should be trying for maximum performance to at least 35 or 30Hz, rather then the common 50 or 60Hz. To this end, I am currently working on a wide range bottom end bin which so far models fairly flat from 35Hz to 200Hz (block of 6), and will get a chance to prototype within a few months when shipment of the appropriate Beyma drivers turn up.

Cheers
Graeme

Re: 100dB/watt at 20 Hz is overkill. [message #27873 is a reply to message #27871] Tue, 16 March 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Fitzmaurice is currently offline  Bill Fitzmaurice
Grand Master
My RTAs were taken acoustically with a Phonic PAA2, both at the FOH and throughout the arena. For control purposes I also have taken RTAs of my personal electric bass rig, one which is quite capable of delivering 105dB output flat to 32 Hz. What I've found is that the bulk of sonic energy does not lie in the first octave fundamentals but in the second octave second harmonics, irrespective of whether the instrument being measured is electric bass, kick drum or pipe organ for that matter.

There is a simple reason for this, and it has little to do with the capability of sound systems. It is that the human ear just isn't very sensitive to pure tones lower than 60 Hz, and when the second harmonic content of a bass tone is increased in level the brain is fooled into thinking that the fundametal level has been increased as well. This meshes quite nicely with the latest research on the subject by variuos sources as published in the Journal of the AES, where it has been verified time and again that increasing the subjective psycho-acoustically perceived level of bass content is most effectively achieved by the alteration of harmonic levels and not fundamental levels of bass sources.

Chances are that when you have problems with kick drums it's not at 40 Hz but at 80 Hz. I've found that when bass levels are perceived as excessive, to the extent of pounding your chest so hard as to literally take your breath away, the bulk of the energy present is around 80 Hz, not 40 Hz. When you retune the drum higher what you're really doing sonically is pushing that all important second harmonic higher to where it is less offensive.

MAG12 - Preliminary Announcement [message #27874 is a reply to message #27867] Tue, 16 March 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Eminence has stated that they are interested in making an improved 12" subwoofer based on their Magnum technology. This offers significantly lower distortion by virtue of the flux control ring and other improvements. The truly exciting news is that they have said they expect the price of this high-fidelity MAG12 will only be about $25.00 more than the LAB12. If there is enough interest to make a production run of 100 or more, this product will become a reality.

The woofer is intented specifically as a low distortion subwoofer, suitable for use a variety of cabinets, including the LABhorn. The proposed target specifications make it suitable for use as a direct radiator, bandpass or horn subwoofer. The simplest implementation is a 2ft3 to 5ft3 vented box tuned to 20Hz. It's most common implementation is likely a low-distortion, high-fidelity drive unit for the LABhorn, or other suitable bass horn.

I'll provide a head count to Eminence to give them an idea of interest in this improved MAG12 subwoofer. So please write to me if you are interested in this and I'll pass the word.

Re: Paging BillF, GraemeG and SwollenL - Massive hornsub [message #27875 is a reply to message #27872] Tue, 16 March 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Sounds juicy! Keep us posted.

I've always thought similarly to what Bill said, in that bass horn must be very large to get under 40Hz and keep response flat. If the installation can be made permanent or semi-permanent, then the horns can be made large enough to reach below that, but for portable stuff, I've sort of concluded that 40Hz was a good lower limit for horns. Seems like between 20Hz and 40Hz, everything is pretty much from direct radiation anyway, whether in a horn cabinet or not. So I like the idea of having direct radiating subs and horns from midbass up, at least for relatively small sound production work like clubs and theaters and, of course, people's homes.

But if you can stipulate that several horns be used, then each one can be made a little smaller and still get the job done. For large-scale setups, that becomes an option. Or if the installation can be made permanents or semi-permanent, then you can really come up with some neat large bass horns. And then there's the reality that 40Hz is a pretty good goal for bottom end, and if bass is solid down there, it generally satisfies completely. 120dB between 40Hz and 80Hz sounds very powerful indeed.

hmm [message #27876 is a reply to message #27874] Tue, 16 March 2004 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike.e is currently offline  Mike.e
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Il consider it,but im already spending 299$ US on the lab12, another 50$ just means i gota wait longer for the basshorn accessories such as paint,mdf,connectors..

Cheers

Re: 100dB/watt at 20 Hz is overkill. [message #27877 is a reply to message #27868] Tue, 16 March 2004 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I'd like to see more of your work, Bill. I know you discussed this elsewhere, but I'd like to mention it again. It would be great to have a website with blueprints or photos of your DIY projects. Any plans to make a website?

Where are you? [message #27878 is a reply to message #27876] Tue, 16 March 2004 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
The Lab 12 is $140 at Parts Express; hope you're not in the US, as even retail is only $210.

Re: 100dB/watt at 20 Hz is overkill. [message #27879 is a reply to message #27877] Tue, 16 March 2004 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
At this point no. I might consider it if I wasn't so busy coming up with new designs, which on average I do at a rate of four per year. Along with everything else I do this barely leaves me time to write up my projects for AudioXpress. Besides, I have a deep loyalty to Ed Dell at Audio Amateur, without whose support I would not have got to where I am today. For now his publications will have to remain the only source for my designs. It would be nice if the AudioXpress website was more user friendly as far as obtaining my plans, and those of everyone else published there for that matter, but that's not a factor within my control.

Re: hmm [message #27880 is a reply to message #27876] Tue, 16 March 2004 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Naah, even this new MAG12 could be yours for that kind of money, probably less than $300.00 delivered to your door. You can get the LAB12 for $200.00, including insured parcel post to New Zealand.

But I definitely understand the issue of $$$bucks$$$. I'm impressed when a twenty-something fellow is as techno-savvy as you are. It's hard to plop down the cash for expensive hobby projects, and the good stuff always costs a lot. You can really see this in auto parts and sound equipment. So kudos to you for using your intelligence to make up for your budget crunch.

Re: 100dB/watt at 20 Hz is overkill. [message #27881 is a reply to message #27879] Tue, 16 March 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's a pity. It does limit access of your designs to those that have purchased the magazine. Not that the price is unreasonable or anything, just that it prevents you from being able to illustrate a point in a discussion here or on other online discussion forums.

Previous Topic: Manley Labs
Next Topic: jbl 2243 theile/smalls
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 06:00:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout