Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month
Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month [message #27813] Thu, 31 May 2007 12:29 Go to next message
Mojo is currently offline  Mojo
Esquire

I saw Ultrasone headphones is posting tips on maximizing your headphones in the studio. Some good advice here!

We at UltrasoneUSA are proud to bring you a brand new feature called the Tip of the Month. Once a month we will bring you tips from the professionals about how to better use headphones in recording, DJ and live music enviornments. For out inagural Tip we bring you a word from grammy nominated producer/engineer Ted Perlman, owner of Buffalo Sound in LA. Enjoy!

"To enhance their listening experience and confidence during tracking, I think its key to mix in reverb and EQ that's specifically dedicated to the monitor mix in the headphones but not printing to the track. It's easy! To accomplish this subtle but effective performance-enhancing technique, I recommend the following:

1) Make sure you're using a DAW I/O with zero latency monitoring. I use the RME HDSP 9652.
2) In the case of a vocal recording, route the incoming audio from the microphone back out of the soundcard and into an analog board – even an inexpensive one from Behringer or Mackie will do this for application. I personally use a Mackie 3208 in this case.
3) Route in reverb from a hardware unit to the mixer's aux send. At Buffalo Sound we use a Lexicon PCM80.
4) Assign the reverb's aux send to the headphones, and adjust EQ to their taste. Using the best headphones possible is also essential, which is why we choose to use Ultrasone HFI-700 and PROline 750 headphones at Buffalo Sound. The result is that the singer hears a full, rich sound right off the bat that doesn't affect what you're recording.
5) Pat yourself on the back for making your vocalist more comfortable, confident and charged up about their headphone mix then they've ever been (unless they've already worked with me!). Listen to the difference it makes when you're mixing your hit single.

Visit Ted Perlman any time at www.tedperlman.com
"http://www.myspace.com/tedperlman"
www.myspace.com/ultrasoneusa
www.ultrasoneusa.com

Re: Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month [message #27815 is a reply to message #27813] Wed, 13 June 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
Thanks for the tip.

Just out of curiosity, is Ted Perlman related to Allan Perlman? Wasn't the synthesizer company ARP owned by an Allan R. Perlman?

Re: Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month [message #62688 is a reply to message #27813] Sat, 15 May 2010 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drummer is currently offline  Drummer
Chancellor
Thanks for the helpful information. I will most definitely check out the websites you have provided. And I have a MySpace account so I will probably request you as a friend.
Re: Ultrasone Headphone Tip of the Month [message #62696 is a reply to message #27813] Sat, 15 May 2010 11:24 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
This is a great, highly useful tip that many aren't aware of. How you sound to yourself definitely has a profound psychological effect on your performance, so profound that it should be one of the first things an apprentice recording engineer learns. Etiquette and manners when interacting with the musicians is the other. If you tell a singer (with a condescending tone of voice), "You really botched that track; we're gonna have to do it over," then she's probably not gonna sing at the top of her game for the rest of that session.

99% of the time, you know when you messed up, and don't need somebody to tell you. You'll request to retrack the bad part and punch it in, or else redo the entire track. The proper way for the engineer to handle the other 1% would be something like, "Great job! (short pause) Tell you what. That was great, but you're really on fire today and I think you have it in you to top even that one. Let's cut it one more time, and then we can pick the best of the two.

Sorry for the rant; I've recorded with some engineers that were real flakes......

Back to the topic: EQ and reverb in the cans monitor mix also works great for acoustic guitar, especially with a wee hint of chorus added. If you hear a dry, flat tone while tracking, it's harder to play well. OTOH, laying down a polished, flawless track with soul and finesse is nigh unto effortless when your tone is "there." At least that's how it is for me, anyway.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Speakers
Next Topic: Build my own subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 15 23:20:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers