Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Protools
Protools [message #27803] Mon, 23 April 2007 11:58 Go to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Has anyone here used protools and are you capable of buying the software minus the board? and vis versa.

Re: Protools [message #27805 is a reply to message #27803] Fri, 27 April 2007 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
Hey randle. I think you can buy the software without the hardware peripheral. I know someone who has Pro Tools, and of course he loves it.

Have you considered Cubase, as well? I use Cubase and I love it, although I know that Pro Tools is the industry standard. I saw a chart that compared various systems, and I was surprised how well Cubase held its own in the comparison. Also at one time, Hans Zimmer endorsed Cubase on the Steinberg website.

Re: Protools [message #27807 is a reply to message #27805] Wed, 09 May 2007 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
REC is currently offline  REC
Esquire
I'm afraid you'll not be able to use PT without any digi hardware

Re: Protools [message #27812 is a reply to message #27807] Wed, 30 May 2007 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I agree with REC, and I think that there are different versions of hardware available to use with Pro Tools.

I'm more familiar with Cubase SX. I use an M Audio Omni I/O for an audio interface and a Steinberg 1 in 3 out MIDI interface.

Re: Protools [message #27816 is a reply to message #27812] Wed, 13 June 2007 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
And what is that exactly the Cubase SX I? And can you explain to me the whole background of a MIDI interface?

Re: Protools [message #27817 is a reply to message #27816] Fri, 15 June 2007 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Cubase SX is an earlier version of the Cubase software line that records and edits audio on your computer.

MIDI is the Musical Instrument Digital Interface spec that allows computers, synthesizers, samplers etc. to communicate digitally. Cubase also records and edits MIDI information, including musical performances on keyboards, fretted instruments like guitars and drum sets. So you could record a MIDI performance on a keyboard, then change the notes, tempo, key, velocity of keystrokes and even sounds that are being triggered.

The MIDI interface connects a MIDI device with the computer.

Re: Protools [message #27820 is a reply to message #27803] Mon, 01 October 2007 11:14 Go to previous message
W DeMarco is currently offline  W DeMarco
Esquire
I have pro tools mix 24 plus which is both hardware and software, I also have an MBox at home with PT LE. Heres how I see it. If you want to interface with a pro studio then Pro Tools is the way to go. Sessions can be opened by the studio easily and all of your mixing and editing will be much more conveniently accesed. On the other hand if your productions are to be completely handled within your own domain then Protools might be extravagant. I am not a big fan of either the Mic Pres or the convertors found in the PT MBox system although the MBox does have a digi input. If the latter is the case then youmight look into a quality set of pres/convertors like the grace stuff or the metric halo stuff. The quality of these products will really shine in the home studio system. The software you use is not so much an issue as the way the audio gets to the software.

William

Previous Topic: Modding a console amp for guitar use
Next Topic: Sound prrofing the booth
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:45:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers