Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Plans for trap box 15 and horn
Plans for trap box 15 and horn [message #27722] Mon, 30 May 2005 13:01 Go to next message
Taylor Webb is currently offline  Taylor Webb
Esquire
Does anyone know about a source for getting a book/plans for an efficient design using a 2" horn (JBL 2446) and a cast frame 15" driver? Possibly would add a 10" making a three way.
I would prefer a trap box design with at least 15 degree angles.
PS- I plan to build Bill's DR 250/300 in the future, but I have
drivers for these now, and would like to use them.
Thanks in advance,

Taylor

Re: Plans for trap box 15 and horn [message #27723 is a reply to message #27722] Mon, 30 May 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd suggest one of two types, either a DI matched two-way or a three-way with a simple conical midhorn. The advantage of the two-way is simplicity and the advantage of the three-way is reduced bandwidth for each driver. Either will provide uniform coverage if done right, because the two-way is DI matched and the three-way is horn loaded down to a relatively low frequency.

If the woofer is a JBL 2226 or equivalent, which seems to be the popular alignment for 15" pro woofers these days, then you'll want a cabinet between 2.0ft3 and 5.0ft3 tuned to 40Hz. Pick the port with the Helmholtz formula below and you're set.

Re: Plans for trap box 15 and horn [message #27724 is a reply to message #27723] Tue, 31 May 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne:
Thanks for the swift reply, and the corresponding formula.
I think I will go with the simple two way, as I have both drivers. Forgive my ignorance of mathmatics; what variable( constant?) does 'Ve' represent ?
Taylor

Re: Plans for trap box 15 and horn [message #27725 is a reply to message #27724] Tue, 31 May 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Ve is enclosure volume. I think you will be very happy with a DI matched two-way loudspeaker. They are simple and work very well, a high-quality solution. It's one of the best design configurations, in my opinion.

Re: Plans for trap box 15 and horn [message #27726 is a reply to message #27725] Tue, 31 May 2005 16:24 Go to previous message
Esquire
Wayne
I realized during lunch today, in one of those
palm to forehead moments-- V= volume.
Not to hard a jump .
Thanks again for the advice, and I will
be building some newer boxes soon.
Taylor

Previous Topic: Marshall DSL50 v DSL100
Next Topic: Show tomorrow - need help getting this rig up and running...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 11 01:43:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Miller Audio