Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Please don't laugh
Please don't laugh [message #27702] Tue, 09 November 2004 23:53 Go to next message
Audio Dummy is currently offline  Audio Dummy
Esquire
How do I get the signals from a tri amp setup into an 8-pole Speakon connector? I have looked all over the place but cannot find any answers. The connectors are everywhere but I cannot find any kind of patch bay to get the signals from multiple amps into one cable. Am I missing something here? Do I have to put different Speakon connectors on my amps to assign poles and then daisy chain the cable from amp to amp? I know there must be an easy way to do this because lots of speakers have 8-pin inputs for tri-amping. I feel like I am missing something really obvious but I give up. Please help.

Re: Please don't laugh [message #27703 is a reply to message #27702] Wed, 10 November 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wiring for the 8-pole speakons:
Pins 1+2 for LF, pins 2 are used for a feed through sometimes.
Pins 3 for MB
Pins 4 for HF

Sounds like your amps have speakons also so your wiring would be like:
LF amp pins 1 from amp to pins 1 on 8-pole speakon
MF amp pins 1 from amp to pins 3 on 8-pole speakon
HF amp pins 1 from amp to pins 4 on 8-pole speakon
to get it down to 1, 8-pole speakon.

HTH
Bill W.

Re: Please don't laugh [message #27704 is a reply to message #27703] Wed, 10 November 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audio Dummy is currently offline  Audio Dummy
Esquire
Thanks for replying Bill

My main concern is actually how to avoid spaghetti in the rack. I know how to wire the cable I just don't know how to keep everything looking neat and tidy. So far as I can tell the only way to do this is to mount a rack panel with two 8-pole output jacks to the rear of the rack, behind the amps, and wire the respective poles from the banana jacks on the amps to the poles on the retrofitted jacks. I have not seen these offered for sale anywhere as complete kits so either people who do triamping with a single 8-pole Speakon cable all do their own custom rack panels or there is an easier way to do this that I am missing. It sounds like I would have to splice the 8-pole cable and put on 3 different Speakon ends to plug into the amps from what you are saying.

Are there any pics posted anywhere that show the physical wiring of a triamp setup going into one 8-pole cable? Are there any type of junction boxes or Speakon patch bays that can be used? If there are I haven't found them or perhaps I am not using the proper terminology. I am genuinely embarrassed I do not know how to do this.

Re: Please don't laugh [message #27705 is a reply to message #27704] Wed, 10 November 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>>My main concern is actually how to avoid spaghetti in the rack. I know how to wire the cable I just don't know how to keep everything looking neat and tidy.

Tie wraps, cable clamps, cable troughs(sp), etc.

>>It sounds like I would have to splice the 8-pole cable and put on 3 different Speakon ends to plug into the amps from what you are saying.

Yup.

>>Are there any pics posted anywhere that show the physical wiring of a triamp setup going into one 8-pole cable?

Not sure, I'm sure there is somewhere on the web.

>> Are there any type of junction boxes or Speakon patch bays that can be used?

Yes, follow the link below, you can find Middle Atlantic dealers around, I think Musicians Friend carries there products, Full compass etc.

Bill W.

Re: Please don't laugh [message #27706 is a reply to message #27705] Wed, 10 November 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blades976 is currently offline  blades976
Chancellor
Ok, thanks fro clearing this up for me. I guess I will have to order some rack panels and get going on this. I am comfortable with tools and soldering irons; I can’t imagine a non-mechanically inclined person pulling this off without having to pay through the nose. I am really amazed there aren’t pre made Speakon patch bays offered for sale. I wonder if it is because of liability because of the many ways the cables can be wired and potentially smoke equipment?

Thanks again Bill.

Re: Please don't laugh [message #27711 is a reply to message #27706] Fri, 11 March 2005 19:38 Go to previous message
kerOseen is currently offline  kerOseen
Esquire
Contact Mark @ www.audiopile.net. He does custom work on the side, and I've seen some of his amp rack patch bays, they're very nice. Very reasonable prices from an honest, humble guy.

Previous Topic: Mesa Boogie mods?
Next Topic: intermittent hiss in marshall jcm 800
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 05:18:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout