Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Sound even though volume at 0
Sound even though volume at 0 [message #27650] Thu, 12 February 2009 17:28 Go to next message
BernardV is currently offline  BernardV
Esquire
I have a small fender amp (not sure what model) that is about 6 years old. I haven't used it in long time (ie. just dusted off my guitar and amp after sitting in storage) and not sure if the following is normal.

When I hookup my guitar directly to the amplifier and set the volume to zero on the amp for the normal channel, sound comes out pretty audible and clear. The volume knob still works where you can up the volume and sound will get louder. When in the overdrive channel on the amp, no sound comes out when the volume is set to zero. So I'm wonder is something wrong with the amp for that normal channel?

TIA

Re: Sound even though volume at 0 [message #27651 is a reply to message #27650] Fri, 13 February 2009 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It may be that the volume potentiometer is broken. I've seen them do this - the substrate cracks from repeated heat cycles of just old age. The wiper still works, and so there is still some variable resistance but if the crack is right on the junction to the ground side, then it isn't acting like a voltage divider anymore, just a variable series resistance. That causes the volume knob to still work, but only partially.

Re: Sound even though volume at 0 [message #27652 is a reply to message #27651] Mon, 16 February 2009 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BernardV is currently offline  BernardV
Esquire
Thanks. After reading this I checked the potentiometer with an ohmmeter and it is broken. Not sure how I am going to replace since it doesn't look like something i can get from radio shack.

Re: Sound even though volume at 0 [message #27653 is a reply to message #27652] Mon, 16 February 2009 12:34 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't expect to get it at Radio Shack either. They don't have a large selection of parts. You'll probably find the right electrical value, but it would be a stroke of luck to find a part that fit physically.

Look in the phone book in your area to find electronics parts houses. You're bound to find a few there that will be able to identify and order the part for you.

Previous Topic: 4-10 bass cab inductor
Next Topic: Retube/Bias Silverface Deluxe Reverb
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:42:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout