Home » Audio » Pro Sound » amps and extension cabs
amps and extension cabs [message #27648] Fri, 06 February 2009 14:23 Go to next message
Stuart John Lawrence is currently offline  Stuart John Lawrence
Esquire
Hi can you help?
I have a Marshall 18W 1974 with a 16ohm spkr-but there is a swith for 4-8 - and 16 ohms
I want to run my extn cab rated at 8 ohms with it - what do i set the switch to? thanks Stuart

same question for a vibrolux running two 8 ohmd spkrs so 4 ohms amp says not to run below 2 ohms -can i use the 8 ohm extn and the built in spkrs at the same time ?

Re: amps and extension cabs [message #27649 is a reply to message #27648] Mon, 09 February 2009 12:05 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you have an external speaker cabinet rated 8Ω and an amplifier with a switch allowing you to set for 4Ω-8Ω, then that's where you should set it.

For an amplifier that is safe to run loads down to 2Ω, you can safely connect two 8Ω speakers in parallel across it. What that means is you'll connect the (+) lines together and the (-) lines together. Both 8Ω speakers can be connected together this way, and that will present a 4Ω load to your amp.

If you were to connect another 8Ω speaker in parallel with two others - three 8Ω total, all in parallel - the resulting impedance is approximately 2.6Ω. That's still safe for an amplifier rated for 2Ω loads. But it's just barely above the safe limit so I wouldn't push it. Be cool with the volume knob.

Loudspeaker impedance isn't a fixed value, the number quoted is an average, usually rounded to the nearest 4Ω or 8Ω. The impedance is actually a fluxuating line that moves with frequency. The typical 10" driver, for example has minimum impedance at very low frequencies, peaking at a resonant frequency in the midbass, then dropping back down to minimum in the lower midrange. From there it rises gradually as frequency goes up. So the amplifier may have trouble driving the lower midrange frequencies, where impedance is at its lowest point. The trouble for you is that's where a lot of your signal content is.

Previous Topic: Fender Performer 1000 problem
Next Topic: 4-10 bass cab inductor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:39:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout