Home » Audio » Pro Sound » need advice re speaker replacement ohms watts
need advice re speaker replacement ohms watts [message #27641] Sat, 10 January 2009 22:12 Go to next message
Tim Wicks is currently offline  Tim Wicks
Esquire
I am considering an amp project with a new speaker. I am getting a cheap bass amp that is a Drive 20 watt bass amp- AC 117V 60Hz 35W (on back of the amp) that I want to mod into a customized guitar amp for something different. Currently the amp has a no name 8 inch speaker (it is being delivered and I do not yet know the ohm rating) also significant is the speaker is totally enclosed in the cabinet-no open back.

Is there a 10 inch speaker that I may be able to replace the 8 inch speaker that may give me a different sound? What do I need to consider as far as watt ratings in a replacement consideration- do i need to go higher of lower watt ratings if I am not matching exact? Do i need to match the OHMS exact.

thanks for input here- Tim

Re: need advice re speaker replacement ohms watts [message #27642 is a reply to message #27641] Sun, 11 January 2009 14:48 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I wouldn't be overly concerned about impedance, although it wouldn't be hard to match. Measure the DC resistance of the existing speaker with an ohmmeter. Advertised impedance will be about 25% higher. If the voice coil measures 6Ω or so, it's an 8Ω speaker. If the voice coil is around 12Ω, it's a 16Ω driver.

Do find a speaker that will handle the power though. That shouldn't be hard either, because 20 watts isn't a lot of power. But sometimes guitar speakers don't handle a lot either. So make sure the speaker you choose will handle the power.

Previous Topic: Mesa boogie triple rectifier makes no noise
Next Topic: Folded Horn vs Tapped Horn
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:55:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout