Home » Audio » Pro Sound » stereo cab help
stereo cab help [message #27634] Fri, 14 November 2008 13:36 Go to next message
Marzman is currently offline  Marzman
Esquire
Some guy is selling an ibanez stereo 4x12 cab for $30. So even if it's not great sounding, it's a good deal. Here's my thing. I have a peavey 25watt 8ohm combo and a dean markley 15watt 4ohm combo that i usually string together. the ibanez cab is rated for 4ohm mono, 16ohm mono, and 8ohm stereo. Since I'd love to be able to use all 4 speakers on the cab at once, how can i hook it all up? Since the dean is 4ohms and it's after the peavey in the signal line, can i just ouput the dean's line out into the cab at 4ohm mono? I worry though, that I will lose some of the peavey's punch that way.

I could maybe run either amp into different sides in stereo mode to get both amps sounds, but then the ohms don't match. The cab would be 8 ohm stereo, which would be fine for my peavey 8ohm. But the dean is 4ohm. Would it be ok to run it into 2x12 at 8ohms. I imagine since the resistance is higher it would lose some volume. Maybe not too much(the little dean is crazy loud anyway).

thanks in advance!
Mike

Re: stereo cab help [message #27636 is a reply to message #27634] Fri, 14 November 2008 15:03 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can generally fudge the impedance a little bit, running 4Ω loads on 8Ω taps and vice versa. Just don't go too far with it. Running 2Ω on an 8Ω tap is a bit much, for example.

Ohm's law says each time you connect spekaers in parallel, the impedance is halved. Each time you connect in series, it is doubled. You can hook a pair in series, and a second pair in series. Connect to each end and impedance is doubled, as per Ohm's law. Now if you connect the two pairs in parallel, then cut that back in half to the original value.

Previous Topic: Ohm settings
Next Topic: Super Reverb silverface for AC30?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:14:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio