Home » Audio » Pro Sound » ??????Can any of you tech's help?????
??????Can any of you tech's help????? [message #27608] Sun, 24 August 2008 22:23 Go to next message
Bigred is currently offline  Bigred
Esquire
First of all, I have a 1970's, univox 4x10 cab, equipped with foil capped, made in Westbury, N.Y., speakers. The geniusses at Univox in that day must have thought it was a good idea or something like that to produce cabs & speakers with no indication of what impedance they run off of...Maybe thats why they're out of business??, Just sayin'. Anywaaaayyy, I went andgot my multimeter and isolated one speaker and tested it. The meter goes back and forth and the speaker makes a little noise, no specific reading... Now, this is wierd to me because, I know the speaker works... I use the cab everyday. Is there any body out there in cyberspace that can help?

Re: ??????Can any of you tech's help????? [message #27612 is a reply to message #27608] Thu, 28 August 2008 16:08 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Each speaker should probably have voice coil resistance of 5Ω or so. A speaker advertised as having 8Ω average impedance usually has DC resistance of around 5Ω. I suppose they could be 4Ω or 16Ω, but in any case, DC resistance would be between 3Ω and 15Ω and it will not fluctuate. Resistance is usually 60%-80% of the advertised impedance.

The meter movement suggest to me the test leads or clips might be old and brittle, opening up intermittently. Sounds like a bad connection. You should be able to touch the two leads together and get a constant zero reading with no fluctuation.
Previous Topic: Removal of Transformer From Old Jensen Speaker
Next Topic: Crate Palomino V32
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 17:07:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout