Home » Audio » Pro Sound » amp murderer???
amp murderer??? [message #27597] Mon, 21 July 2008 22:23 Go to next message
Downsoul-Michael is currently offline  Downsoul-Michael
Esquire
Ok, this is probably going to sound insane to most people but I'm nearing my wits end. Every guitar amp I have ever owned has had a tendency to lose all of its tone and presence after a fairly short time. I have used a Peavey Bandit and XXX, a Vox Valvetronix, a Marshall AVT 2000, a Crate GT212, and most recently an Ibanez ToneBlaster Extreme. After a month or two, they all sounded dead and fuzzy, like the signal chain was breaking down somewhere, sort of like having a bad cable only worse. These amps never had much in common except me being the one using them. Most never gave any warning or other symptoms, they just decided to sound like crap one day, with the exception of the Ibanez, which made a loud POP and cut out, then slowly faded back in, but to a lower volume and with that wonderful scratchy fuzz I've come so accustomed to. Could other equipment be feeding bad juju into the power lines??? Do I produce some unidentifiable bioelectric field that destroys output transformers??? Seriously, I have no clue. Please HELP!!!!!!

Re: amp murderer??? [message #27600 is a reply to message #27597] Wed, 23 July 2008 12:12 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Everybody does have their own electro-magnetic signature, mostly made up of the power cycle hum that surrounds us all. I've noticed some people can touch an amp input and develop much more signal than others. I think it has to do more with skin conductivity than anything else.

That said, I doubt your string of amp mishaps is from anything bio-electric, bad karma or magic mojo. It could be that you're simply pushing the amps too hard and causing failure but I wouldn't expect them to change their tonal characteristics unless a tube started getting weak or a capacitor getting lossy. Both are functions of time more than drive level. Then again, maybe you're shredding the speaker cones.

Previous Topic: Could be a good source for parts and amps
Next Topic: different amp heads and cabinets
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:13:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout