Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Carvin V-3 on the fritz
Carvin V-3 on the fritz [message #27551] Thu, 14 February 2008 00:22 Go to next message
Byron is currently offline  Byron
Esquire
I have a Carvin V-3 head that I purchased about a year and a half ago and I have taken great care of it not to mention that it has been in my music room and not been moved or banged up sice I purchased it. Today I went to go jam out and noticed the second over drive channel was low and muddy and the more I turned up the pre-amp and master volume the more crackley and dull it got. I then switched to the third over drive channel and it was the same case. I then tryed the clean channel and with both volume levels maxed out the volume was extremly low like normal conversation level low, my ears should of been bleeding. As far as the two over drive channels my ears were not bleeding either but were louder then the clean channel but still abnormaly low. I tryed swapping around the pre-amp and power tubes hoping to isolate the problem but this proved uneffective. One thing I notice was when I was playing on the overdrive channels with both volumes maxed, the amp would start making a pulsating thumping sound and the power tubes would emit this blue plasma looking glow in the center of the tubes that would pulsate with the thumping sound. After turning the volume off the sound and tube would continue to pulsate even when I stopped playing and the weird thing is that it only happens when my head is switched to 100 watts but at both 50 and 100 watts the amp still sounds muddy, crackley, and extremly low volume. There is no repair shop around me that is willing to touch a carvin and carvin wants to charge me an arm and a leg just to ship it and have it benched so my question is does any one have any suggestions or an idea of what might be causing this problem? by the way my warrenty expired!

Re: Carvin V-3 on the fritz [message #27555 is a reply to message #27551] Wed, 20 February 2008 18:16 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Well, the "pulsating, thumping sound" sounds like motorboating, which is a low frequency oscillation. It sounds kinda like you had a filter cap fail, but it's difficult to say without having the chassis on the bench in front of you.

What area of the country do you live in?

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Amp, speakers,OHMS
Next Topic: Marshall Artist 4203
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 07:41:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers