Home » Audio » Pro Sound » newbie amp question
newbie amp question [message #27550] Sat, 09 February 2008 19:02 Go to next message
bornitz is currently offline  bornitz
Esquire
Hi,

I've been a beginner on guitar for quite some time. I bought a Roland Cube 60 a few years back and am finally starting to fiddle with some of the settings/models. I have a Gibson LP and American Fender Strat. The amp seems to be quite versatile, but do you think that there would be any benefit of buying something more *standard* like a Peavey Bandit 112 or a Peavey Envoy 110 ? The cube seems to sound like a Marshall on the Stack setting and a Fender on the Tweed setting. Would I be wasting my money buying another amp or do you think one of the Peaveys would be a good addition? I like to play classic rock mixed with some pop and alternative. Thanks in advance, Bonnie

Re: newbie amp question [message #27552 is a reply to message #27550] Thu, 14 February 2008 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
First question....are you happy with the sound of the amp?

If so, why go looking for something else. I started with a Peavey Bandit 112 years ago. They are a great amp. A real workhorse and dang near indestructable. You're not going to have the effects that you have on the Roland though.

I tried many, many amps when I was looking, but I was looking for a loud, full on rock gigging combo. The Peavey 5150 combo was what I ended up with. I know, I know, it's the Van Halen model..but that seriously made no difference to me. I took my guitar and my brother (who was our drummer), played through every combo I could find that was less than $1K, and picked the one that sounded the best. But...this is not an amp I can sit around the house playing as it just has too much volume at the lowest settings!!

My personal liking is my Strat through my old Fender vibrochamp and my LP through my Peavey. The Strat sounds like junk through the Peavey to me.

It really comes down to what you like. If your cube sounds like a Fender on one setting and a Marshall on another I'd say you have the best of both worlds. Quit looking and practice, practice, practice.

Re: newbie amp question [message #27562 is a reply to message #27550] Sat, 08 March 2008 13:25 Go to previous message
Gary- is currently offline  Gary-
Esquire
Hi Bonnie, I agree with what Shane is saying. If you are getting tones that you like and volume levels that you need, spend your energy on your playing skills.

At some point, you may find that you want to move up to another amp for specific tones or dynamics. Try a number of them before you settle on one. Remember, you'll also need to budget for effects that you like.

Previous Topic: What's a good light speaker?
Next Topic: Boogie Amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 03:38:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout