Home » Audio » Pro Sound » 2 Pi Spearkers
2 Pi Spearkers [message #27509] Fri, 02 November 2007 13:03 Go to next message
jshoc is currently offline  jshoc
Chancellor
If I built the electronics for and amp, and use my 2 Pi speakers, would I get decent sound?

Is this a path to pursue?

Re: 2 Pi Speakers [message #27510 is a reply to message #27509] Sat, 03 November 2007 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If you're building a modeling amp, this might be a valid approach. You want the speaker to be neutral, just like in hifi, so the sound characteristic of the DSP generated tone is reproduced faithfully. But a hifi speaker won't give you any "bite" or "crunch" or any of the other sounds that are unique to guitar speakers. They have varying breakup characteristics, and guitar players often pick them to give them their own unique sound.

So it depends on what you're tring to do. If you want to set your sound by modeling, use a neutral speaker and set the processor to create whatever sound you like. If you want to set your sound by choosing different guitar, amp and speaker combinations, then a high fidelity speaker is proably going to sound to "sterile" and boring to you.

Re: 2 Pi Speakers [message #27511 is a reply to message #27510] Sat, 03 November 2007 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim Shocrylas is currently offline  Jim Shocrylas
Esquire
Wayne, thanks for response.

I have four Pi speakers at home - two 2 Pi's, and two 4 Pi's. My eldest is off to college, Dalhousie Universuty, and am looking to redepoly his 2 Pi Towers.

Could you recommend a DIY Guitar AMP that would provide the characteristic bite/crunch sound.

Thanks
Jim

PS - thanks for the web site, and inspiring so many of us!

DIY Tube Amp Kit [message #27517 is a reply to message #27511] Tue, 06 November 2007 20:35 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Torres Engineering has a DIY tube amp.

Previous Topic: What type of Amp do you prefer?
Next Topic: which amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Mar 18 23:41:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout