Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Tube Distortion at Low Volume?
Tube Distortion at Low Volume? [message #27469] Fri, 14 September 2007 05:44 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
It's been years since I played my electric guitar through an amp, and I never really developed my own sound. The last time I used it with a system, I plugged directly into the P.A. board, with a compressor stomp box for leads.

Now I live in a condo and I'm wondering if I could get a good sound to record through a small Fender at a low enough volume to avoid noise complaints?

Re: Tube Distortion at Low Volume? [message #27470 is a reply to message #27469] Fri, 14 September 2007 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Maybe turn the distortion up and the volume down?

Re: Tube Distortion at Low Volume? [message #27471 is a reply to message #27470] Fri, 14 September 2007 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes, I'd start with that approach. I think it would probably give decent results, especially in a mix with other instruments.

I suspect it wouldn't be quite as good as the crunch from an amp and speakers working close to their capacity.

Although now I think there are more sounds in style than just the wailing amps.

Distortion pedal [message #27472 is a reply to message #27471] Sat, 15 September 2007 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
One way you can do it is with a distortion pedal. Like a Tubescreamer or a DS-1. Let's you keep the volume low and vary the distortion level. Not as good of course as turning the volume and gain up to 10, but it works pretty well.

Re: Distortion pedal [message #27487 is a reply to message #27472] Mon, 08 October 2007 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for the suggestion about the Tubescreamer. Come to think of it, I used to play in a band with a guy who used one. They're made by Ibanez, aren't they?

Re: Distortion pedal [message #27490 is a reply to message #27487] Sat, 13 October 2007 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
Tubescreamers are made my Ibanez. I used to own a tubescreamer distortion pedal, but I prefer proco rat now. Although tube screamers do have a a great sound, i would still use it if had no other distorion pedal device.

Willyable

Re: Distortion pedal [message #27500 is a reply to message #27490] Sun, 21 October 2007 00:00 Go to previous message
Crystal is currently offline  Crystal
Viscount
I own a tubescreamer. Sounds great on my crate amp. Never heard of proco rat. I should do a google search on it.

Crystal

Previous Topic: Cello amps
Next Topic: Guitar Amp help!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:17:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers