Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Beginner Guitarist
Beginner Guitarist [message #27409] Sun, 15 April 2007 07:24 Go to next message
eatli is currently offline  eatli
Chancellor
Hi all,

I haven't touched a guitar in over a decade, and I was pretty bad when I last tried to learn, but I want to give it another go.

I've seen a beginners package for around $100, it includes an Electric Guitar, 10W amp, stand, tuning pipe and beginners video.

Is this worth it, or would it be a false economy to get something so cheap. It's unbranded, but has some positive reviews saying it's good enough to learn on.

I'm just concerned that the quality could be so bad it might put me off learning again.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27410 is a reply to message #27409] Mon, 16 April 2007 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R is currently offline  Chris R
Master
You can find Squire by Fender guitar packages for under $200, likely
others as well. Get something at least decent. Spend a little more
now and it will last you longer and be more satisfied.
Just my opinion. Chris

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27413 is a reply to message #27409] Wed, 18 April 2007 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Of course it's worth it, I mean you are going to need a little guidance but you have to start somewhere and not only that, you have to invest in yourself and your hobbies. For a $100 that isn't bad at all. I think that is a steal .

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27417 is a reply to message #27409] Wed, 25 April 2007 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I've seen very inexpensive packages that included a guitar and amp. I've been surprised at how well some cheap guitars play.

I think it would be good to have somebody knowledgeable about guitars with you when you buy, to watch for warped necks, buzzing strings and you want to get as easy an action as possible. I mean the strings shouldn't be too hard to press to the fretboard.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27418 is a reply to message #27410] Sun, 29 April 2007 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That is a good point, Chris. And it reminds me of seeing Walter Becker in a Steely Dan video playing a modest Fender model like a Mustang.

He must love the guitar, because I'm sure he has quite a selection to choose from.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27425 is a reply to message #27417] Sun, 06 May 2007 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for your response.

Unfortunately I'm buying online, but the company I am buying from have an excellent returns policy, so I'll get someone to give the guitar a look over as soon as I recieve it.

Thanks again

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27426 is a reply to message #27413] Sun, 06 May 2007 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the encouragement. I've decided to go for it

I was just concerned that the price might = terrible quality. Sometimes it's worth spending a bit more to make sure you're getting something that won't put you off learning by being that bad.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27427 is a reply to message #27418] Sun, 06 May 2007 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the advice.

I had a look for places that ship to where I am, and unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere offering a comparable deal I've decided to go for this cheap package, and then save up for a good guitar from one of the local music stores.

If this guitar turns out to be no good, the store has an excellent returns policy, so it's worth the risk, I hope.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27441 is a reply to message #27427] Fri, 25 May 2007 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
If it's not a great guitar, maybe it can be improved a little by adjusting the action to make it as easy to play as possible, but with no buzzing of the strings on the fretboard.

Also if it had a truss rod in the neck, possibly a warped neck could be lessened by adjusting it.

Re: Beginner Guitarist [message #27491 is a reply to message #27409] Sat, 13 October 2007 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
willyable is currently offline  willyable
Viscount
I believe it is worth it. Being a guitar player myself, I would say its worth it. It would be good enough to learn with, once you've learned enough, then you can invest more on expensive brand name stuff like guitars by ibanez, b.c. rich, jackson, fender, AMPS by marshall, crate,and so on.

Willyable

Previous Topic: Keyboard for Beginners?
Next Topic: What is the best recorder for recording a solo musical performance?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:45:57 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio