Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Acoustic Amp
Acoustic Amp [message #27272] Mon, 08 May 2006 15:08 Go to next message
jambre is currently offline  jambre
Esquire
Hi,

I'm new on this board, and I'm tossing around ideas for an acoustic amp- I was on ssguitar.com recently, and the best advice I've heard so far was "...design a cabinet and speaker..." and then work on the electronics-

What I'd like to do is build a relatively small acoustic guitar amp as a first project-I have woodworking skills and tools, and on a scale of 1 to 5, my electronic skills are about a 2.5-3(I know a volt from an amp from an ohm from a henry from a farad, can solder a little, and know enough to keep my paws off capacitors)

Anyway, any suggestions for a speaker(s)/cabinet?

Thanks,

Jim B
Manchester, NH

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27278 is a reply to message #27272] Wed, 07 June 2006 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For an easy amplifier, you might use the LM3875 chip. Add a power supply and a volume pot and you have an amp. As for the speaker, you could choose a driver with the sound you like from Eminence or Jensen and run it in an open back cabinet.

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27289 is a reply to message #27272] Sat, 15 July 2006 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harry4265 is currently offline  harry4265
Baron
amps for acoustic are very pointless as acousics sound better alone

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27306 is a reply to message #27289] Mon, 17 July 2006 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Well, yeah, but what about when an acoustic is used on stage, played to a large audience? That's when an acoustic guitar needs amplification.

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27311 is a reply to message #27306] Wed, 26 July 2006 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ever played an Ovation. Most of their models are designed to be plugged in. Mine is. They sound weak and thin due to the body design, but plugged in they sound very nice. That's why so many live performers use them. Most acoustics that can be played plugged in aren't really designed for it.

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27322 is a reply to message #27311] Tue, 15 August 2006 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This little troll polluted this board with his stupid comments on the same day, July 15.
Who is the moderator of this forum?
BTW - Shane, of course you`re right...but the problem of those Internet forums is that some kid can provoke people who have had tens of guitars and amps during the years/decades, done recordings, live concerts, etc. Even built and modified their amps, speakers...
Because of this we need a serious moderation of all audio forums on ART, IMO - to avoid bad fate of some other forums... It`s better to have a small number of posts, but the quality ones...IMO/IME and YMMV...

Re: Acoustic Amp [message #27323 is a reply to message #27322] Tue, 15 August 2006 19:16 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're right. Several posts from that clown were pulled back then when he made them. I remember him.

Previous Topic: Help! – P.A. System Receives Radio Station
Next Topic: JCM800 50W 4210 developed crackling problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:22:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout