Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Switchable power section plexi
Switchable power section plexi [message #27242] Sat, 04 March 2006 05:01 Go to next message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Esquire
I have a marshall 100 plexi I built from weber kit quite easy build
Now what I would like to know is how hard would it be to convert and make the power section switchable from 100 to 50 and then 15 watts CLass A just one tube, you can do it cant you.

Re: Switchable power section plexi [message #27244 is a reply to message #27242] Sat, 04 March 2006 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Hmm..."you can do it, can`t you?"

It can be done. We have two pairs of output tubes, EL34 in PPP. "Half power" switch can be incorporated in a way that it "switches out" one pair of output tubes, say tube 1 & 4. Best between cathodes and the ground - both pins 8 from tubes 1 & 4 soldered together and solder the switch (close to the tubes) between cathodes and the ground.
Triode/pentode switch - in "normal" or pentode mode pins 4 of all power tubes are connected together on "g2 supply", or through LC filter from B+. You must now connect it with a another switch in a way that in pentode mode all g2 pins (through it`s 1k resistors) are connected on this LC filter/supply, and in another switch position - every g2 (pin 4) connected to the it`s anode (pin 3)- on the same tube. In other words - on tube 1, pin 4 to pin 3 switch and in another switch position - pin 4 to the g2 supply. The same with other three tube.
"15W class A - one tube" - the best to disconnect two tubes, say 1 & 4, then disconnect in some way input AC signal on one tube (say tube 2), leaving negative "bias" voltage" in place, tube is still "idling". Then we`d "driving" with AC signal just the tube 3. It can be operated like triode, or pentode (see above). We have "quasy SE" circuit, with just one tube actually amplified, and other "balanced" DC "bias" current through the OPT.

Like I said - it can be done. Even it can be "footswitch" (relais) operated. But - are this easy and safe mods for "average" DIY-er?

P.S. You can find this and similar mods/schematics in "The Ultimate Tone" book(s) by K. O`Connor.

Re: Switchable power section plexi [message #27246 is a reply to message #27244] Sat, 04 March 2006 08:04 Go to previous message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Esquire
THanks man very good answer very helpful I really would like to get that book particularly if it has a MOD thats like this

Previous Topic: slaving amps!
Next Topic: l-acoustics power ratings mtd115a
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:46:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout