Home » Audio » Pro Sound » valco chicago 51
valco chicago 51 [message #27200] Sun, 29 January 2006 16:06 Go to next message
willie is currently offline  willie
Esquire
Hi, I have recently aquired a very old OAHU CHICAGO VALCO 51 (late 40's).the tube set up is 2 6v6's one 5y3 and one 6j7 and a 6sc7. it also has a 10 inch rola speaker that has attached to it a field coi speaker
the tone of the amp is awesome but, however, it makes a cracky sound while playing that increases the more I turn the volume up.
somebody told me that the speaker was ok. I've change all the tubes except for the rectifier tube and the 6j7 and it hasn't improove the sound.
can this be due to the capacitors?
the fact that the caps are old, and therefore dry, may be the cause of the cracky sound while playing?
do you know at how many ohms does that speaker work?
could it be the speaker?

thank you very much

Re: valco chicago 51 [message #27201 is a reply to message #27200] Mon, 30 January 2006 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Capacitors have improved a lot in the years since your amp was built. So swap them out. You might also clean (or replace) the tube sockets.

Re: valco chicago 51 [message #27204 is a reply to message #27201] Tue, 31 January 2006 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
willie is currently offline  willie
Esquire
thanks a lot. that seems very much helpful to me

Re: valco chicago 51 [message #27309 is a reply to message #27200] Wed, 26 July 2006 16:03 Go to previous message
Tom Humphreys is currently offline  Tom Humphreys
Esquire
Hey Willie!

I have the same amp! Is yours covered on white tolex? How did you date yours? I have been scouring the 'net for info but it's slim pickin's. I'm curious what you paid, if you have any idea of their value or other resources on these amps.

Thanks!
Tom H

Previous Topic: Another question
Next Topic: Reducing amp volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:23:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers