Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Genz Benz acoustic shenandoa 60
Genz Benz acoustic shenandoa 60 [message #27159] Tue, 01 November 2005 19:12 Go to next message
john is currently offline  john
Baron
I just got the green light to play at a new place. They are just a tad insistant on me using their PA system. The woman showed me the XLR input built into the floor.
I still plan on using my acoustic amp and plugging that into the input of thier PA.
On the back of my amp are two outputs.
The LEFT DIRECT OUT says
"Left Output-Post effects.
Mono Output-Post effects."

The right says " Right Output-Post effects."

If I have my mic plugged into the XLR input on the front of the amp, and the guitar plugged into the 1/4 " input, will the left output combine the two into a mono effect into their PA?
Or do I need to get a splitter with adaptors and run both left and right outputs into thier single input?

Or would it be better to just mic the amp? (The most expensive solution since I would have to buy another mic and stand.)

Also, what does
LINE LEVEL-UNBALANCED, and MIC LEVEL-BALANCED mean?

Any info. would be greatly appreciated, and I will name my first born after you.

Re: Genz Benz acoustic shenandoa 60 [message #27161 is a reply to message #27159] Wed, 02 November 2005 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Hi John,

Use the "Left Output-Post Effects/Mono Output-Post Effects" into the PA. You'll get better acoustic sound through the PA than micing your amp, not to mention far fewer feedback problems, which are always a bear with acoustic guitars anyway. Most all pseudo-stereo amps or processors are set up like this, with either the right or left line/FX loop outputs also doubling as the "Mono" output.

When using only your "Left/Mono" output, the two channels will be summed as far as the dry/wet (effects) signal mix, and you'll get everything the speakers get, but through one line out instead of it being separated and fed through separate internal power amps into two speakers for a true pseudo-stereo effect when you're using the chorus.

"Line Level Unbalanced" is (usually) a standard 1/4" phone jack connection with a ground and a hot, used for most instruments and high-impedance microphones. A "Mic-Level Balanced" is always an XLR-type connection, for low impedance microphones and instruments/amplifiers that are equipped with balanced line out connections. A "balanced" connection has a ground, and two signal carrying conductors (one positive, one negative). It offers a much higher degree of noise rejection than an unbalanced (one signal conductor only) setup, by phase cancellation of the noise.

BTW, my first name is John too, so you're off the hook on naming your firstborn after me, LOL! He'll just be "John Jr." But if it's a girl, then please don't name her John on my account................

Thermionic

Re: Genz Benz acoustic shenandoa 60 [message #27163 is a reply to message #27161] Wed, 02 November 2005 20:25 Go to previous message
john is currently offline  john
Baron
Thanks much! It sounds like you really know your stuff.
That will make it simpler for me to set up.
It will be nice to use the amps other features, and get a little experience with a PA. I will write a song about you, and sing it to the crowd, and one day it will become a folk song sung by school children around the world.
Thanks again!

John

Previous Topic: amp
Next Topic: Problems with DSP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:46:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers