Home » Audio » Pro Sound » amp choosing help
amp choosing help [message #27154] Tue, 18 October 2005 16:00 Go to next message
todd is currently offline  todd
Esquire
I am looking to buy a nice amp for my fender strat. I play in a church band and have just borrowed an amp..but i think it is time to get my own. I dont need a whole cab worth of power..something that is a good strong amp, but also small enough that i can carry around to and from my dorm room every week. What are some good amps out there that would fit my needs that are not too expensive...i dont really need the best of the best..just a good sound for a good price.

Re: amp choosing help [message #27155 is a reply to message #27154] Tue, 18 October 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
todd is currently offline  todd
Esquire
i would like to add that i play lead guitar...mostly clean tone...but a nice distortion is needed also

Re: amp choosing help [message #27156 is a reply to message #27155] Wed, 19 October 2005 09:12 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Hi Todd,

A Peavey Classic 30 can usually be had used for around $300 (sometimes less). IMO, there's nothing anywhere near that price range that sounds as good, and being a 1-12" combo it's infinitely portable. While the tone won't do battle with a good boutique amp, it'll lay waste to most any other 1-12" combo you'll find in your average music store nowadays. But get a Weber VST speaker, change a few caps and resistors, and it WILL do battle with boutique amps. The Classic 50 definitely sounds better than the 30, but that 4-10" cabinet is a real backbreaker.......... Also, be aware that it can be had in an ultra cool black instead of the standard tan, which is the Classic 30BT (Black Tweed) model.

The 30 has a great clean tone, and does a good job of letting the guitar's tone through instead of masking it. It also has a nice, smooth sounding FET driven reverb as well. AAMOF, the way it's filtered, it actually sounds smoother than some tube driven reverbs! Just don't look for a super loud pristine clean tone. It starts breaking up fairly early, so you'll definitely wanna crank it up even a bit past your normal church playing volume to see what it does when you try one. Of course, you could just mic it.

The Peavey Classic series are are the only mass produced, current production amps I know of that don't have clipping diodes in the preamp section. Those nasty clipping diodes are a major part of what give the distortion of today's amps that buzzy, gritty, fuzz, and are why you can't get a smooth overdrive sound. There are other reasons as well, but the clipping diodes are the A Number 1 reason.

I'd recommend ditching the factory tubes, and replacing the EL84s with JJ and the 12AX7s with Electro Harmonix. BIG improvement over the stock tubes, especially if you get an older, used one with the Chinese 12AX7s (yuck!).

Thermionic

Previous Topic: Tuba 24 questions.
Next Topic: Floor Pocket Problems
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 05:53:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers