Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?)
Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27123] Tue, 16 August 2005 03:02 Go to next message
elecnewb is currently offline  elecnewb
Esquire
Sorry, TOTAL-SUPER-00BER newb here, I just got an elec guitar, moving up from acoustic, but I have no idea how amps/all that technological stuff works. I didn't get the amp from my friend so I plugged in my guit to my subwoofer thru a little converter dealy...and it sounds like acoustic basically (well, it sounds like a quieter acoustic when not plugged in at all, but when i do plug it in the speaker just makes it louder and bass-ier) I was wondering, if i plug it in to an amp will i get it/can i change it to sound less like the acoustic and more 'electric'? (like you hear in those rock songs, y'know what i'm talking about) I'm not sure how amps work, are they just speakers or do they actually let you fiddle around with all the equalizer stuff? and do they produce those hendrix fx or would I need effect filters and such for that? :/ sorry, super newb. I just want my guitar to, well, not sound so acoustic

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27124 is a reply to message #27123] Tue, 16 August 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like you want an electric guitar, maybe a Stratocaster or something like that. Acoustic guitars still sound acoustic, even when amplified.

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27125 is a reply to message #27124] Tue, 16 August 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
err, heh, actually the one I got IS electric (a strat btw like u said), just that when I plug it in to a regular speaker all it does is make the vibrations louder, it doesnt give off the 'electric' sounds at all

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27126 is a reply to message #27124] Tue, 16 August 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
(sorry for double post) i think my first post may have been misleading, i meant i plugged in my new elec guitar to a regular speaker (not an amp) and all it did was make the regular sound louder (the elec sounds just like acoustic when unplugged, all the speaker did was make that sound louder) So i was just wondering if an amp will sound different

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27127 is a reply to message #27126] Tue, 16 August 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think what you're saying is that you want some effects like distortion. Guitar amps do sound different, because they have some of the kinds of effects you're looking for.

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27128 is a reply to message #27125] Tue, 16 August 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Get a guitar amp that has distortion and other effects. I think that's the sound you're looking for.

Re: Elec guitar thru speakers vs amps (do amps make them sound 'electric'?) [message #27129 is a reply to message #27127] Tue, 16 August 2005 12:12 Go to previous message
Esquire
excellent, thanks so much:D

Previous Topic: Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier Problem
Next Topic: matchless chieftain transformers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 11:35:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio