Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet
Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet [message #27045] Fri, 13 May 2005 04:31 Go to next message
Casey is currently offline  Casey
Esquire
Hi,
What guitaramp are you recommend me?
I can buy a Marshall AVT150 (second-hand) for about $735
Or I can buy a Marshall MG100HDFX plus MG 412A, 120 watt cabinet all brand-new for about $780.
Please could somebody reccomend me what to buy? Because I'm really doubting what to do.

Thanks!

Re: Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet [message #27046 is a reply to message #27045] Sat, 14 May 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
I don't recognize these models, but based on the specs and prices
they sound like partly or fully solid state amps. Not altogether
bad, but a LOT of people prefer tube amps. They cost more for the
same power, are heavier, and IMNSHO sound better. Play both, together ideally, and play a tube amp or two before deciding.
Chris

Re: Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet [message #27047 is a reply to message #27046] Sat, 14 May 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for your awnser Cris.
The AVT150 is a hybrid valve amplifier. Isn't that the same as a tube amplifier?
You can find more about AVT right here:
http://marshallamps.com/images/avt2000/avtwhatisavt.html

Re: Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet [message #27048 is a reply to message #27047] Sat, 14 May 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
I know these valvestate technology isnt the same as tubes. It's a mixture of the two technologies: the tubes are used in the pre-amp section as the solid state is used in the circuitry to create the tube tone as it was created only by tubes.
I don't know if this valvestate technology is obviously better than tubes, but the truth is that this is a more modern technology. And due to the fact that we all need to look forward I'm really doubting what to do. I mean everything gets better because time causes the technology to progress so one time there has to be developed something better than tubes and maybe now it's time the valvestate technology will take over the tubes.

Re: Marshall AVT150 second-hand or MG100HDFX + MG412A 120 Watt cabinet [message #27049 is a reply to message #27048] Mon, 16 May 2005 14:01 Go to previous message
Chris R. is currently offline  Chris R.
Viscount
This is coming from ignorance, but I'm going to disagree that this
so-called valvestate technology is better from a sonic point of view.
I haven't listened to one of these, but there's no way Marshall nor
anyone else can make transistor outputs sound just like tubes. Period. Part of a tube
amp's sound certainly comes from the preamp, but the famous Marshall sound
was from big amps with no master volume control. You wanted "that sound", you were loud. No two ways
about it. Now most amps have the master so you can turn down the
output volume and still get the preamp over-drive. That's part or
most of the way there, but without the big tubes, transformers, and
maybe a sagging power supply, transistors just aren't going to sound
the same. Sorry. Now on the flip side, some of this is pretty subtle and can
only be heard when playing alone. Live and esp. when you start adding pedals,
amps start to sound more and more alike.

Chris

Previous Topic: dbx 166 compressor
Next Topic: Which Amp to choose for Pod XT Live
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 01:32:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers