Home » Audio » Pro Sound » slaving amps!
slaving amps! [message #26996] Thu, 03 March 2005 17:40 Go to next message
brent is currently offline  brent
Esquire
i have a 5150 1 and i was wondering i could get a significant amount of more power if i enslaved another head.

specifially i am wondering if i could enslave a cheap solidstate amp with a lot of watts. would i get more volume? would a retain the tone of my 5150?

as there anywhere online where i can get more info on slaving amps?

thanks
-brent

Re: slaving amps! [message #26998 is a reply to message #26996] Fri, 04 March 2005 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron Merrill is currently offline  Aaron Merrill
Esquire
Hey brent,

I'm no expert on the 5150, so does it have a preamp out that will not automatically cut the signal to the power stage? If so, go for it. tone from the 5150 + power from the other amp. You are essentially running a mini-PA from your amp this way. - do you just need this for shows? You may want to simply mic the cab (which has a bit of sway over tone as well) through PA if that is the case.

aaron

Re: slaving amps! [message #27243 is a reply to message #26998] Sat, 04 March 2006 05:08 Go to previous message
Doyle is currently offline  Doyle
Esquire
This is what kurt cobains guitar tech did for him he used a boogie combo slaved to a huge solid state PA head cause he kept blowing up the tube heads or damaging them anyway more likely bumping it to much a solid state head can take it.
Having said that Kurt wasnt known for his live sound most recordings he did were all tube.

Previous Topic: marshall valvestate vs65r no sound
Next Topic: Switchable power section plexi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:19:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout