Home » Audio » Pro Sound » sound samples
sound samples [message #26904] Sat, 17 July 2004 12:41 Go to next message
Philip Ruetz is currently offline  Philip Ruetz
Esquire
If you'd like to hear what my latest amp sounds like, I've posted some new sound samples here:

http://www.diyguitaramp.com/j1.html

I just ran the mic into my computer, and used Windows sound recorder to make some .wav files. Haven't quite figured out how to make .mp3 files yet.

Enjoy!

philip ruetz

Re: sound samples [message #26905 is a reply to message #26904] Sun, 18 July 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's cool, Philip, thanks!

The schematic is helpful and the sound files are great! I liked your Telecaster sound on Smoky.

MORE sound samples [message #26910 is a reply to message #26905] Fri, 23 July 2004 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hello all,

My uncle just gave me a dozen or so new high-quality samples, using some of the gear that I've built/modified for him. Everything can be found on my new "sounds" page.

Please have an earful, and let me know how you like 'em!

Thanks for listening,

philip ruetz

Re: MORE sound samples [message #26911 is a reply to message #26910] Sat, 24 July 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
What's your favorite speakers for guitar amps? Is your preference different depending on the guitar and effects played?

Favorite speakers [message #26912 is a reply to message #26911] Sat, 24 July 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Wayne,

I'm not very knowledgable about speakers. Partly because they're so expensive, and I never have the spare $$$ to try them out! I have a custom 2x12" cabinet, and it is loaded with Mesa/Boogie Celestions, but I can't remember what they're called. I *think* they're more or less a slight variation of the G12H80.

I've heard lots of good things about Celestion Vintage 30s. But indeed a lot does depend on the kind of music you want to play, and the kind of cabinet you plan to use. Lots of folks love Weber speakers. And I was talking to my uncle the other day, and he helped a friend choose a new speaker for his Fender BF Deluxe -- and the best match they found for that amp was a Jensen.

So many choices! For the best prices on Celestion, check out www.avatarspeakers.com. They often have clearance specials on Celestions, but even their normal pricing is competitive.

Hope this helps. Perhaps others who are more knowledgable about speakers will chime in.

Best,

philip ruetz

Re: Favorite speakers [message #26913 is a reply to message #26912] Sat, 24 July 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
You like 2x12 Celestions. That's really what I was wondering. Some like 4x10's. Lots of Jensen and Eminence in various configurations out there too I'll bet.

Re: Favorite speakers [message #26914 is a reply to message #26913] Sat, 24 July 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Yeah, I really love this 2x12 cab of mine. It was a gift from my uncle a few years back. A guy in Akron built it for him some years ago, as a kind of experiment. It's a ported Thiele design. From what I understand, the guy built a couple more just like it ... and eventually one of them got into the hands of Dr. Z. Apparently, the good Dr. closely modeled his 2x12 cabinet after this design. Pretty neat!

Before my uncle kindly donated this cabinet to me, I struggled for years with building amps and trying to get them to sound good. The only cabinet I had was an old Fender 1x15" open-back combo cab with a generic Fender 15" in it. That sounded OK ... but it was pretty flat and "blah" sounding.

If I had to get a new cab at a good price, I would definitely go for one of the horizontal 2x12 Avatar cabs, probably with Vintage 30s. Lots of rave reviews of all the Avatar cabs.

Best,

philip

Re: MORE sound samples [message #27298 is a reply to message #26910] Sat, 15 July 2006 02:19 Go to previous message
harry4265 is currently offline  harry4265
Baron
guitars are putting me off now i rather play my saxaphone, more fun and educational

Previous Topic: Metasonix
Next Topic: guitar amps AND hi-fi ... cool!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:51:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio