Home » Audio » General » Funny Life
Re: Funny Life [message #2820 is a reply to message #2813] Fri, 10 March 2006 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks MWG as long as I know someone can get it I'll contact them.

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2821 is a reply to message #2818] Fri, 10 March 2006 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
We had a '64 Pontiac Tempest with a 'transaxle' which meant the engineers had their heads up the exhaust pipe and the 4 cyl. engine was the same one they use at the grocery to grind coffee.
"Daddy's home" we would cry when he was still a good mile away.
I learned to drive in that car. Nostalgic? Not a chance!

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2822 is a reply to message #2821] Fri, 10 March 2006 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well you don't say. That car would have been red with a white convertable top and black bucket seats? Slant four exactly half of a 389? Shift on the floor; called a Tempest? I didn't think anyone else ever owned one of those. Lot of fun that car.

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2823 is a reply to message #2822] Fri, 10 March 2006 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leland Crooks is currently offline  Leland Crooks
Master
That's true, when you drive these old cars you realize just how far autos have progressed. It is possible to make them drive like the new ones, if you have the bucks

New a arms, disc brakes, complete suspension rework and more. I did change all the suspension and body bushings with modern composites. Made a huge difference. Disc brakes are next on the money list.

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2824 is a reply to message #2821] Fri, 10 March 2006 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
I thought 63 was the last year of the great transaxle experiment?

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2825 is a reply to message #2824] Fri, 10 March 2006 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Coulda been, prolly was a '61? It was pretty beat by the time it was mine in '64. First year they were made, I think. I am certain, though, that it was red.
Re: Funny Life [message #2826 is a reply to message #2820] Sat, 11 March 2006 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MWG is currently offline  MWG
Grand Master
Well I moved all my equipment back on the bench as I picked up the MX-114 and wanted to use that AR remote I bought. As luck would have it I couldn't get the remote to work for the life of me. I tried one last ditch attempt by hooking everything back up again and low and behold it works. Now I can control the volume on any source and turn everything on & off with one switch. Almost like what the real folks have The tuner section in the 114 sounds pretty good. It's supossed to be essentially the same as the MR-74 tuner. It's nice to have everything working again. I just wish we would get a good FM station around or I could at least pickup NPR.

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2827 is a reply to message #2825] Sat, 11 March 2006 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Close but mine was a '64 I guess the last year they made it. Lot of stories center around that car.

Re:Be careful what you wish for [message #2828 is a reply to message #2823] Sat, 11 March 2006 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
About three years ago I got the bright Idea to try one of the classics. This guy has a 1966 Chevy II standard shift with the 327? So I says let me try this one it's in great shape. He gives me the keys and tells me"Go ahead, take it for a spin."
Pull out of the driveway, "Hey this is great!."
Tooling along there is a big blind curve coming up. I'm doing maybe 40/45. exit the curve and there it is; a nice backup to a red light. I hit the brake; no problem. Not stopping so quick? Push harder and downshift; nothing but a little drag on the speed; ooh boy... now I'm literally standing up on the brake with cars approaching pretty quick. I finally get it slow enough that I can bail to the side over the curb. End up sitting on the grass on this surprised guys front lawn, I think; hmmm..maybe not.
Forgot how lousy those old drum brakes were.

Re: Funny Life [message #2829 is a reply to message #2826] Sat, 11 March 2006 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thats right; you have the Mac stuff, correct?

Previous Topic: The 4400 Season One
Next Topic: Thoughts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 06:51:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout