Home » Audio » Radio » Wards Airline 62-1057 help?
Wards Airline 62-1057 help? [message #26088] Thu, 09 April 2009 10:32 Go to next message
Rhulett1 is currently offline  Rhulett1
Esquire
I have a small Wards Airline portable AM radio that belonged to my father. The "Article" number is 62-1057 and it could be powered with AC or a two section battery pack. It has four tubes: 1R5; 1U4; 1S5; 3S4. The case closes up to be about size of a kid's lunchbox, and it has leather panels attached to the metal case. I know it is at least 55 years old because recall my parents using it when I was a small child. Strangely, it still works.

Can anyone tell me where to find more information about this radio, and whether it has any value to collectors?

Re: Wards Airline 62-1057 help? [message #26089 is a reply to message #26088] Thu, 09 April 2009 14:17 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Montgomery Ward radios were made by other companies, labeled as "Airline" and sold at Montgomery Ward. I have several and all are of good quality, nice looking radios. When I need a schematic, I must search through a list of documents of radios made by various manufacturers to find a match. I identify the chassis by visual inspection, tube complement and layout.

Generally, radios like these have more intrinsic value than extrinsic. You can often pick them up on eBay from $25 to $50. Some models, like (Zenith) TransOceanics go for a little more, maybe $100 to $200. There are some collectables, older models and some novelties, that sell for more. But generally, the dollar amount they'll bring isn't real high. I think these old tube radios are great collectables, but more for the nostalgia than the dollar value.

Previous Topic: Replacing Selenium
Next Topic: M. Ward Airline console
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 20:32:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout