Home » Audio » Radio » Montgomery Ward Console-1931?
Montgomery Ward Console-1931? [message #26069] Tue, 10 February 2009 00:11 Go to next message
Chris Wysong is currently offline  Chris Wysong
Esquire

I am trying to identify this Airline radio that I purchased. The chassis has no model number, but it does say chassis 31. It has 3-24 tubes, 2-27 tubes, 2-45 tubes and 1-80 tube. I think this is a 1931 or 1932 radio. Has anyone seen this?

Thank you,
Chris Wysong

Re: Montgomery Ward Console-1931? [message #26070 is a reply to message #26069] Tue, 10 February 2009 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's really beautiful! Thanks for the link!

The thing about Montgomery Ward is they didn't make their own electronics. They purchased from an OEM, so the chassis is made by RCA or some other company. They had cabinets built and branded them as Airline radios. What I've done to get schematics is to manually look through a large collection of schematics and chassis layout diagrams to find a match. It's a tedious process, but I don't know any other way to identify the OEM and chassis of a particular Airline radio.

Does the radio work? If so, you may not need the schematic. Usually the only things that go bad are capacitors and tubes. Cloth insulated wiring usually lasts, but in the late 1940's and 1950's, plastic insulation was used and that is almost always brittle and must be replaced. It cracks off, leaving the conductor exposed, usually inconveniently touching the chassis or some other component. But I expect your radio is old enough it has cloth insulated wires.

Re: Montgomery Ward Console-1931? [message #26071 is a reply to message #26070] Tue, 10 February 2009 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Wysong is currently offline  Chris Wysong
Esquire
Wayne, thank you for letting me know this. Yes, the radio does work and the caps have been replaced. As a collector of radios I like to know as much as I can about the radio. I would love to find the schematics for it, just to have them. That's part of my learning process.
I appreciate the information.
Chris

Rider schematics on CD [message #26072 is a reply to message #26071] Tue, 10 February 2009 23:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out the Rider collection. I bought all the CD's so I would have all the schematics available. Might be worth it to you too.

Previous Topic: Lafayette HT-10C 2-Way CB "Walkie Talkie"
Next Topic: Airline 93br-720A
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:18:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout