Home » Audio » Radio » Unknown old radio, need help
Unknown old radio, need help [message #25851] Fri, 23 June 2006 09:50 Go to next message
AmherstVA is currently offline  AmherstVA
Esquire

I just bought a vintage radio on eBay. There's no manufacturer and no schematic. Can anyone ID this radio for me? I think I've got the picture listed below, but if it doesn't work, please email me and I'll send it. Thanks.

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25852 is a reply to message #25851] Fri, 23 June 2006 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, I can't identify it but I can help get it working if it's broken. Does it work?

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25854 is a reply to message #25851] Mon, 26 June 2006 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eldragon is currently offline  Eldragon
Viscount
I work with one of the biggest radio collector in the US. I'll find out for you tomorrow.

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25855 is a reply to message #25851] Thu, 29 June 2006 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill is currently offline  Bill
Chancellor
HI, From the looks of your radio I think that you have a married radio. The cabinet is probably from the late 1930's and the radio itself is probably from the early to mid 1940's. the opening on the right side of the cabinet was originally the dial area and where the dial is now was originally the speaker. To be sure I would need more and better quality photos of the front and the back and as close as possible. Please feel free to email me for more info. Bill

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25857 is a reply to message #25855] Thu, 29 June 2006 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Good catch, I think you're right. After reading your post, I went back and looked at the photo. It looks just like you said.

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25861 is a reply to message #25857] Sat, 01 July 2006 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AmherstVA is currently offline  AmherstVA
Esquire
Upon looking at the radio, you're absolutely right. I dismantled it today and in reality there are two radios in there. The original radio appears to still be there, with the dial/faceplate removed(now the speaker). The metal radio with dials appears to be an old car radio. It's completely encased in metal but has no identification. It resembles a 1948 or so Chevrolet radio.

With it removed, I could barely make out a tag on the wooden radio identifying it as a Western Auto dated 10/42, I think, still model unknown.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25872 is a reply to message #25861] Mon, 10 July 2006 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill is currently offline  Bill
Chancellor
Just looking at the one photo, it just might be a Western Auto set. It probably could be restored to near original if you wanted to spend some time on it? The grill could be reproduced and fitted in position and I can assist you in joining them so that all seams would disapear!!
The chassis you said was there and I assume that the speaker is gone or torn up. I can explain to you how to replace it with a modern speaker. Be advised that if you decide to restore it will take a lot of work and time.
I have been doing this kind of restoration work on radios for many years but if you are commited to this project I would be glad to guide you through the long process. Be aware that it could take months and your radio at the end may only value less then $100.00. It would save a small piece of history and you would have a beautiful radio to show to your friends.

Re: Unknown old radio, need help [message #25874 is a reply to message #25872] Tue, 11 July 2006 09:50 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I had an old Stewart Warner radio that had an open field coil. Believe it or not, I hand wound the voice coil with magnet wire. Worked great!

I could have easily replaced the speaker with a fixed magnet type, but I wanted to keep the old speaker. It took hours and hours and hours to wind! I would spend an hour or so every day winding while watching TV or listening to the radio or CD. After a couple weeks, I finally finished. Lots of work, but I'm glad I did it!

Previous Topic: Philco Cathedral model 20
Next Topic: Airline Radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:37:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout