Home » Audio » Radio » Monkey Wards Airline console
Monkey Wards Airline console [message #25824] Thu, 04 May 2006 20:45 Go to next message
dlrepp is currently offline  dlrepp
Esquire
Hi I bought this console at a garage sale for $3.00. It works pretty well. The turntable will do 16, 33, 45, and 78 rpms. It has a flip cartridge. The radio pulls in some stations that my more modern tuners won't. It has a pair of rca imputs on the back for my cd player. It also has 2 rca speaker outs in the back. I bought it originally because it has a tube amp and tube pre amp. Which brings me to my problem. The speaker outs are not balanced. I have to tune the balance knob to 9 o'clock to get the right sounstage. I tried switching the 2 tubes on the amp and it still isn't right. Any suggestions as to my next step? All sources have the imbalance which suggests there is a problem with the pre amp. I am a plug and play type person so anything too technical will go in one ear and out the other. Thanks for any help someone can give me. Dan

Re: Montgomery Ward Airline console [message #25825 is a reply to message #25824] Thu, 04 May 2006 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like you found a real bargain! Post a photo if you can. As for the imbalance, I'd probably replace the capacitors and see if that fixes it. If they haven't been replaced already, they're old enough they need to be. So that's a good place to start. Let us know how it works out.

Re: Montgomery Ward Airline console [message #25827 is a reply to message #25825] Fri, 05 May 2006 05:58 Go to previous message
dlrepp is currently offline  dlrepp
Esquire
Thanks for your quick reply. I was thinking of removing the amp and pre amp because my wife wouldn't let me keep it in the house. but it works pretty well except the speakers suck so I'll probably use it as my garage system. Like I said, I am not much of a DIY, so I don't even know what a capacitor looks like. I'll do some investigating on that and also let my wife and kids teach me how to send pictures. At least one of them has a digital camera. Thanks for the advice-I'll get back at you when I get more info. Dan

Previous Topic: zenith radio
Next Topic: Zenith 12S471 repo parts source needed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:12:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio