Home » Audio » Radio » Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity
Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #25823 is a reply to message #25821] Mon, 24 April 2006 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sorry, no luck.

Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61533 is a reply to message #25802] Fri, 11 December 2009 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K5FNI is currently offline  K5FNI
Esquire
Did you ever find out about your console radio's model? I have that same radio (purchased last summer) and I have the same problems. I checked a site for finding old radio schematics by brand/model and put in that number we both have. It was not found. Models all around that number were shown in the database as being "pre-1938". Well, from the FM band and miniature tubes in this radio, I KNOW it comes from post WW II and NOT "pre-1938".

Thats why I would like to know if you have found out anything more about yours. Or if anyone reading this has more information on this model.

I will be glad to share with you whatever I find, since we have the same radio.

Amateur Radio Talks Worldwide
Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61534 is a reply to message #61533] Fri, 11 December 2009 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It plays but it seems lower in volume than it should be? Have you looked at the signals with a scope?

I have one radio that needed a lot of work, but there were no schematics to be found. Seems like that's the case on a lot of Montgomery Ward radios. I ended up tracing the wires and making my own schematic. It seems like a lot of work before you start but ends up being just a couple hours work. Might be worth it.

Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61540 is a reply to message #61534] Sun, 13 December 2009 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Wayne,

I have no doubt that I can create a schematic for the radio. Of course, I can't figure out what is inside the IF cans. I guess I can ohm out the inductors.

I was hoping to stir up someone who could comment on the model number's seeming incongruity within the Airline stream of models through the years, as the old radio site showed the ones around the one I have were much older than mine.

Also, the loop antenna in the console case's wall has been eaten by rats/mice or some other destructive thing. There are actual gaps in the wires. I don't know if anyone sells these old loop antennas now. I know I can take a big batch of Litz wire and a piece of Masonite and make a similar sized antenna now. I just was hoping NOT to have to go to that extent to get the radio back into service. This is one of the flat, oval antennas on a 2-dimensional plane.

I'm not sure what your statement refers to here: "It plays but it seems lower in volume than it should be? Have you looked at the signals with a scope?" as I didn't say anything like this.

Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61544 is a reply to message #61540] Mon, 14 December 2009 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

K5FNI wrote on Sun, 13 December 2009 17:09
Also, the loop antenna in the console case's wall has been eaten by rats/mice or some other destructive thing. There are actual gaps in the wires. I don't know if anyone sells these old loop antennas now. I know I can take a big batch of Litz wire and a piece of Masonite and make a similar sized antenna now. I just was hoping NOT to have to go to that extent to get the radio back into service. This is one of the flat, oval antennas on a 2-dimensional plane.

I've had a couple like that too. I have made a few of my own, but I suppose you could probably find an old junker at a garage sale or on eBay and remove the loop.

K5FNI wrote on Sun, 13 December 2009 17:09
I'm not sure what your statement refers to here: "It plays but it seems lower in volume than it should be? Have you looked at the signals with a scope?" as I didn't say anything like this.

One of the early posts from Elliot said his radio worked but was low in volume. When you said you have the same radio and have the same problems, that's what I thought you were talking about.

Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61558 is a reply to message #61544] Tue, 15 December 2009 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Ahh. I see now what you meant. No, I haven't even turned it on, since I haven't:
Replaced the power cord
Checked the tubes
Replaced the 'lytic & wax caps
Checked the resistor values
Given it a blow with the air gun nozzle + air tank to get the years of dust out
Replaced the loop antenna

And I may even wire in a fuse holder to protect the transformer.

icon14.gif  Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61564 is a reply to message #25802] Wed, 16 December 2009 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Elliott,

FINALLY! Shocked I found the schematic and alignment information tonight on the antique radio information site with the exact URL for the PDF of:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/987/M0011987.htm
This says it is for model 94WG-2746A, but it is exactly the tube lineup and date of the radio we both have!

I'm still in need of help with the loop antenna. Mine has been eaten by rats before I got the radio last summer. From the schematic, you can see that it is a resonant antenna with a trimmer capacitor behind the loop fiber board. And there are two connections for an external antenna for the AM band out ON the antenna loop board. This is not just a simple back of the radio loop as most AM radios of the "pre 1951" era had.

Anyone help out there? Sad

Thanks in advance (& good luck to Elliott),
K5FNI

Re: Montgomery Ward Console Radio indentity [message #61565 is a reply to message #61564] Wed, 16 December 2009 09:13 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Congrats on finding the schematic! And good luck finding a replacement loop!

Previous Topic: radio
Next Topic: Radios with tubes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:14:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout