Home » Audio » Radio » Picked up a Radiola 82. Works great!
Picked up a Radiola 82. Works great! [message #25776] Mon, 12 December 2005 17:01 Go to next message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Amazing that a stand up console radio made about 1931 still works fine. It is VERY heavy. It uses 45 and 24 and other tubes. I have to sand and refinish the wood. But it is all intact and working. The frayed power cord goes first. The sound is actually pretty darn good too. AM talk radio in all its glory. I hope this does not lead to a new way to fill up my home with vintage tube audio. John C.

Re: Picked up a Radiola 82. Works great! [message #25777 is a reply to message #25776] Tue, 13 December 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That is sooooo cool!

Once it's refinished, please post pics.

Re: Picked up a Radiola 82. Works great! [message #25778 is a reply to message #25777] Tue, 13 December 2005 23:04 Go to previous message
John Chleapas is currently offline  John Chleapas
Baron
Will do. I have a new 7.1 megapixel digital camera to play with. I just picked up a hot wax type furniture repair kit this week. The only real damage to the cabinet are a few 1/16" 4" long missing pieces of the original walnut veneer on the top. Before I even contemplate replacing the whole top piece of walnut wood veneer I want to try the hot iron repair on it first. I bought the kit to do a few small repairs on my Dad's beautiful antique walnut bedroom set we just found for him. With a similar hot iron back in the mid 1970's I made a nearly invisible repair to a wood and marble end table that my Aunt let a cigarette burn down on. The repair was invisible unless you knew exactly where to look. The first time I did the repair it was flawless. I then stupidly redid it a few more times trying to make it even better which did not happen.. I then will lightly sand the whole cabinet down and apply some Minwax to it. The power cord is being upgraded first with the same higher quality Belden wire that we used in my Dyna ST-70. The sound is actually very nice on the Radiola 82 in mono. Hard to believe but these were high end back in the 1930's.. Those were the good 'ol days when it was easier for the Government to lie to the people over the air. John

Previous Topic: Stewart Warner 11-8D
Next Topic: Airline floor model
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:30:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout