Home » Audio » Radio » 1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" Question
1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" Question [message #25705] Tue, 31 May 2005 21:21 Go to next message
Ed White is currently offline  Ed White
Baron
Hey,
I just bought a REALLY nice 1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" from an antique store in a small town in Michigan. The guy just brought it in, along with a bunch of stuff from an estate. It looks all original, and the finish is wonderful, yet intact original. There are a couple of minor marks here and there. The chassis is beautiful, and it plays well on all bands...no hum.

Question..it is all one shade of walnut color, figured on the front, with black in the fluted parts, and the lines around the face. I saw one for sale on a website for a pricy sum, and it was refinished..except it had two tones of wood, and black paint on the cabinet. This one DOES look original. Who is right? Did they make different cabinet trims in the same model? Also, as to rarity..if the chassis is original ( haven't had it apart yet) does it rate a capacitor stuffing job? If it's already been recapped, then, well..whatever..it's not original anymore, so just take it from there. BUT, if it's pure..is this a fairly rare set to preserve? It is GEORGEOUS, with it's skyscraper design. The only bug in the ountment, is that the original grill cloth was replaced...with...yes, a doily..yep, a frilly, lacy, girly-man doily. Oh well..that's an easy fix, but it sure looks..well..sissified. Not for long!

Ed White

Re: 1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" Question [message #25706 is a reply to message #25705] Tue, 31 May 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Congratulations! Sounds like an excellent find.

All the cabinets of that era were handmade, so there is a lot of variety of styles. Many were available in an assortment of wood types.

Since it works well and doesn't hum, I wouldn't replace capacitors.

You can replace the grille cloth easy enough. Try GrilleCloth.com and Antique Electronic Supply for material.

Re: 1933 Stewart Warner 1261 "York" Question [message #25707 is a reply to message #25705] Wed, 01 June 2005 16:26 Go to previous message
Ed White is currently offline  Ed White
Baron
Wayne,

Thanks..I actually don't know the state of the under chassis components, although one of the standing electrolytics is newer, smaller, with a sticker on it. I guess I oughta take a look, in case anything is obviously bad, ar dangerous. However...the DOILY has to go. I need to study the optimum antenna setup for this set. There are two wires..one to the ground clip if you are just using a long wire, and the other for the wire itself. Might be fun to build a cool loop antenna for it!

Thanks again!

Ed White

Previous Topic: R C A model 41 expermental
Next Topic: Atwater Kent radio restoration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:07:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers